SN 196 Hesitation over 30 mph

Spuddy

• Baller
I have a 1997 196. About three years ago we had the anti sphion valve repalced because at over 30 mph the boat was hesitating and it some cases dropping right to 20 mph. Now it has started to do the same thing again, just in time for summer holidays!! Any thoughts on if this could be the same issue with the anti sphion valve or something else. It does have PP star gazer but will hesitate with the system on or off so I am sure it is not an issue with speed control. It will run all day without and issue at wakeboard speeds. Any thoughts ideas would be great. Thanks.

• Baller

It can only be fuel or electrical....the odds of an electrical problem are low.

So...check fuel filters, anti-syphon valve and fuel pump

I have a different boat but had a similar problem a few years ago and it was a build up of grime in an inlet screen in the external electric fuel pump. Follow the fuel path and you will track it down.

• Baller
If it's cutting out at 2800 RPM it could be the GT40 S.L.O.W limp home mode. It is caused by only 2 things- the oil pressure switch (known to leak and go bad) or the high water temp switch or connections to either. Disconnect both and see if you still get the cutting out. You'd also be getting a check engine light, potentially just flickering. Just throwing it out there. You'd know if it was in SLOW mode because the cut-out is quite violent and abrupt.

• Baller
My old boat did this when the water separating fuel filter filled with water. Does your boat have one ? The thing that looks like an oil filter. Higher rpm loss of power usually points to something slowing the fuel flow. Post the remedy so it might help the next guy with your problem. Good luck.

• Baller
Thanks for all the input. The fuel filter is new and clean, spark plug wires are new as of '12 and have about 75 hours on them so I am hoping those are good. @ob where is the inline filter located specifically? Thank you all.

• Baller

@Spuddy Only one of the two relays mentioned feeds the fuel pumps (both pumps) the other relay is power supply for ECM.

In case you get stuck, one thing worth mentioning is that the actuating current to the fuel pump relay goes through a diode concealed in the wiring harness. Failiure to that diode has happened before. Measure voltage at the posts on fuel pump relay under load (relay attached, engine running)to make sure adequate voltage is present