67 vapor

Deanoski

• Baller

I've been looking at a 67" and 68" Vapor. I'm mostly working on 32' off with the occasional run at 35' off, at 34mph. I'm 5'11" and 190. Right now I'm on a 68" in Strada. Should I stay with a 68" or switch to a 67"? I'm leaning towards 67".

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

I tried a 69.5 and 68 Blue Vapor, and going with the 68. At 260, I struggled on my old 68" 9500 and 68.25 9900. The 68 Vapor is slightly wider up front and I don't know if the steps in the front help lift or exactly what, but starts on the 68 Vapor are pretty easy,,and on the 69.5, I pop right out. Both lengths were getting very good angle but the 69.5 was harder to turn exactly when I wanted it to. I rode both Rini and Rossi settings on each ski, and liked Rini on the 69.5 but Rossi setup on the 68 was rocking it for me. I 2-handed 6 ball at 28 off today, something I haven't felt compelled to do in a long time, in a 15/20 mph diagonal body wind. Water wasn't choppy due to the turnpike overpass wind break we installed years ago, but plenty of body wind.

The 69.5 is slightly wider up front than the 68.

The 68 will also give me incentive to work out over winter and shed some weight.

So, my recommendation is that the Vapors ski slightly larger, and you are in between on sizes, go down a size.

But, it's always good to try both!

As always, the guys at Radar are awesome to work with.

• Baller
@JAS I'm 215, down from 230, on a 68 Vapor. I was 230 when I got it. It rocks! Plenty big, lots of tip support. Will work with wack settings (not sure if that's good or bad) and is stellar with the right ones. Shorter I go the better it gets, extremely confidence inspiring. I'm 34, -28 to -38.

• Baller

230 should not be a problem on the 68. We measured the width vs my 9500 and it is definetley wider in front. Did not measure the tail which looks close. I wish I weighed 230!

I tried the 6.1 and just couldn't make it work for me. One of my ski partners tried it and he bought it. He weighs about 200-210 ish. Major improvement over his old RS1.

Both are nice skis.

• Baller
Let me start by saying I love the Vapor. It has literally taken my skiing to another level. My one issue that I seem to have with it is that I cant seem to get the tip down on my onside (1,3,5). When I watch vid of myself I am on the tail of the ski turning it. Granted I turn it fine, but I feel that I could do a lot more with the middle of the ski in the water. I have played around with binding numbers and a little with fin numbers (but after Nate got my fin dialed in I do not plan on touching it). Anybody else have this issue/ know how to fix it?

• Baller
The Vapor seems to really like a counter position in the pre-turn. I sometimes get lazy going into my onside and feel I can just muscle it. Are you keeping your chest pointed outbound long enough? Have you tried "sitting" on the buoy with your inside hip? That helps roll the ski around quicker and leaves you in pretty good shape to hookup. Aside from all that, you can move the fin back a fuzz, but that will slow your turns down a little. The other move would be to lessen the volume of the fin in general, as too much resistance will cause the tip to pop up. Either take some depth out or move the whole fin up into the ski a little to keep the same ratios..

• Baller

@AB I tend not to counter much, that is something to think about.

@shaneH I was skiing about where I was last season on the Vapor when I first got it. Maybe 1 or 1.5 buoys more on average. After Nate played with it a little (took out tip) I went up a pass. If there are more buoys to be gained by dialing the fin I am officially in over my head when thinking about fin adjustments.

• Baller
I have had some issue on a 67 with 246 rff I moved binding forward to 30.25fb bb 18.25 and bam. fin 2.480 6.870 74.5 9wing with the wide rockered tip the ski you can climb all over the tip and not bury it. skiing better than ever. I have ran more -35 this yr than the last 3 combined

• Baller

So far I have about 5 sets on the 67" Vapor. I am quite surprised at how different it feels from my old 68" Strada.

I've run a handful of '32 off passes in past. Now I've run it twice in back to back sets easier than I've ever run it.

I'm having a better time getting front foot pressure on my off side turns.

To me, it seems the main difference is how fast the ski is both turning and across the wake. Some of this could be because it's shorter than my last ski. I've had to tone down my effort, which has been a good thing.

Regardless, I'm really enjoying skiing on it. Now I'm going to have to face 35' off. That will be a project.

• Baller

My son (15, 5'9" 175 lbs) skied one good set (it was windy this weekend) on his new to him 67" Vapor and skied well on it. We have been skiing slower than his max speed and shortening the line and based on that he went out at 30/22. He ran 30/22, 2 32/22s a 34/22 then ran several 28s with a best of 4@28 off at 34 mph. This is the first time he skied 34 mph since he got a concussion earlier in the summer. He has been skiing 36 mph this year before getting hurt with a best of 2@22 off. Last year he only ran 22 a couple of times in practice so running it first try was a good result.

He had been skiing on my 66.75 Nano 1 and skied well on it but he felt like the Vapor was faster and turned just as good for him. We are winding down the ski season but if we can get a couple of good sets in I think he can run 28 off.

If I can lose a few pounds over the winter I will try his ski and compare it to my N1. It doesn't look like it has less surface area than the N1 although the N1 is slightly longer than the Vapor.

• Baller

There are two sets of numbers for the Vapor. Rini is longer and shallower, Rossi is deeper and shorter. I like Rossi numbers on my 68 but liked Rini on the 69.5.

Go to Performance Surf and Ski shop and you can usually find both sets for the ski by length.

• Baller

2.450 is what Rossi told me to try, but length was 6.945. These are "adjusted Rini" settings.

Matt Rini's Fin Settings (Updated as of 3/1/14):

Size: Depth DFT Length Boot Setting

63.5": 2.475, .745, 6.875 front boot @ 28 1/2 wing @ 8

65": 2.475, .745, 6.880 front boot @ 28 3/4 wing @ 9

66": 2.445, .745, 6.954 front boot @ 29 1/4 wing @ 9

67": 2.450, .750, 6.960 front boot @ 29 3/4 wing @ 9

68": 2.450, .750, 6.960 front boot @ 30 1/4 wing @ 9

To have your ski personally setup by Matt himself contact him via email @ swiniskis@gmail.com. Mention you spoke to the crew at Performance Ski and Surf when you email him!

Rossi's 67" Fin Settings (Updated as of 3/15/14):

Size: Depth DFT Length Boot Setting

65": 2.475, .745, 6.880 front boot @ 28.875 wing @ 9

66": 2.475, .750, 6.880 front boot @ 29.375 wing @ 9

67": 2.475, .755, 6.880 front boot @ 29.875 wing @ 9

68": 2.475, .765, 6.880 front boot @ 30.375 wing @ 9

• Baller
For a 67 the radar website has 6.880 and 2.480 for Rini numbers. Seeing what @AB posted makes me more comfortable with the way the ski is set up right now. I have been driving my son so I can't really comment on how the ski is behaving just the results he has gotten granted it has only been one set in decent conditions.

• Baller
The Rini numbers make you feel like you are 90 degrees across the wake, but I thought turns were problematic, and the runout not as good. He may want to try the Rossi numbers above. No tournaments in site, now is a great time to play.

• Baller

My son continued to have fun on his 67 this afternoon. He hadn't skied for a couple of weeks and ran 34/28 for the first time ever and took a couple of cracks at 32 off. Unfortunately our season is winding down and next weekend is a hockey tournament so he may not get another good set in before we are done.

At slower speeds the ski doesn't seem to finish the way I would like it to but it seemed to get better as the boat sped up and the rope got shorter.

• Baller

@Ilivetoski‌ my son is a 36 mph skier but is coming back from injury so he has been skiing slower. I don't think I am going to speed him up again until the spring.

That said the Vapor isn't exclusively a 36 mph ski there are tons of skier skiing 34 mph on it. Generally higher riding skis are better at slower speeds and deeper riding skis are better at faster speeds. If you look at the D3 line up the Helix rides higher than the Quest and in the HO line up the S2 rides higher than the A3 and the Helix and S2 are the skis that are generally recommended for 34 although there are skiers that ski the Helix and S2 at 36 and skiers that ski the Quest and A3 at 34.

• Baller
So, I bought a 65" Vapor for my son. Put the ski at stock settings. His first set on it, he exceeded his tournament PB by 2 buoys off the dock. Mulligan pass yielded a new all time PB by almost a whole pass above his tourney PB. He say, "It's a keeper."