Weighting a boat

lpskier

• Baller_

Without naming names, a senior driver who has pulled at least one world record recently suggested weighting a 200 so that it had a slight list to the port (passenger) side while under skiing power. Another senior driver made a similar comment to me last summer about the Centurion, except I don't recall what side he suggested weighting. (I never ski behind a Centurion so I have had no need to recall.) Logic would suggest that if a Nautique is weighted on the port side, the Other Three would weight to the starboard, or driver side. I have also heard the suggestion to add weight to the bow of the 2014 MC to get a little more boat in the water to assist with tracking.

What are people experiencing, and how (if at all) are you trimming/weighting/setting up your boats? It would be great to get answers from knowledgeable contributors on each of the four current hulls, although the the question is not limited to the current hulls. If you don't have a current year hull, please identify the hull, power and year.

Lpskier

• Supporting Member

Ok, I'll be the n00b:

Why does this matter?

Wake? Aside from the occasional misdesigned or mismanufactured hull, the wake is a non-factor at -28 and in.

Tracking? I nearly never drive anyone at -39 and literally never -41, but in my world I've never had a problem with tracking on a modern boat.

Other?

• Baller

In support of @Than_Bogan‌ , I'll also be the n00b:

What are the logistics of this? I get the idea of using weight, but how in the world do you get it to stay in place so that it's not sliding around as the boat rounds the turn island, etc.?

• Baller

@Than_Bogan‌ I'd disagree about the wake and the tracking.

Others are far smarter and more experienced than me but generally 50lbs around the windshield line makes the boat track a bit better. More of the hull in the water.

In terms of wake characteristics, an out of balance boat at 28 off and shorter tends to create a trough on one side or the other.

Besides that, at the upper threshold of the skiers ability (any line length really) anything helps - skier and driver. Take the same time and effort to fine tune the boat as you would your fin. Some folks say they feel a difference when they move the fin .001 or 2.

Having some weight to move around in the boat helps balance the boat crew as well.

Like @skibug‌ mentioned above every boat is a little different and it pays to learn its temperament.

• Baller
@pgmoore best option I've seen is "shot bags" inside those soft tool pouches which can be zipped up. They won't hurt the boat anywhere you put then and they don't slide around at all. Handles on the bags make them a cinch to move around.

• Baller
We use a coast guard equip bag that's about 25 lbs and up and far as it can go in the bow storage compartment. Also shift some ski gear side to side depending onto the weight of the observer. I think it helps the driver track better and the skier by evening the wake and trowel. This is for a 92 PS 190.

• Baller

@than the weak link for your and my skiing is simply not the boat balance...though I may call for a re-ride next time I whiff 38 at a tourney based on weight placement. Try enough locations and I'm sure I'll run it!

In all honesty if I were a promo owner...I would experiment to get the best possible wake/tracking.

• Baller
We have some issues in my family since certain parties won't drive very often but should due to the weight ratios in the boat. I have a few 5 gallon fuel cans (yellow ones not red) that I have full of water - they've never held fuel so I'll drop that where it needs be, and if unneeded dump the water out to stow it/toss it on shore.

• Baller

My 07 RLxi has no weighting and runs very true and no wake issues with just my wife in the boat about 99% of the time I ski. Of course she is less than 120lbs.

So, maybe @MS said it right - maybe just an issue with "big" drivers?

• Baller
I know I have some issues getting balanced when I am in the driver in tournaments given that I weigh 225 and most boat judges don't weigh that. At our class C events sometimes it is balanced with weight or a rope handler that can slide over toward the passenger side.

• Baller_
When we only have a driver in the boat, we put some weight under the passenger seat to balance out the boat side to side. I know the drivers always liked weight in the front of the 196 but as a skier, I could always feel it at -28 and -32. I know that Lucky was very upset with the bow weighting back at the 07 or 08 Big Dawg finals.

• Baller
In my 99 190 PS I have a custom adapted plastic ballast tank mounted so it is not moveable. There are two water pumps, one to fill and the other to empty the tank with water from a through hull fitting. A rocker switch either fills or empties the tank. It will hold about 150 lbs. water or less and is located under the passenger seat as far Port as possible.

• Baller_
The point of the question is not to see if fat drivers need weight to level the boat. The point is to determine whether anyone has experience with current year boats and trimming them to be something other than level to improve the handling characteristics of the boat for the purpose of improving the driving product delivered to the skier. If the answer is yes, what exactly are you doing and why?

Lpskier

I have the new ProStar and I've not yet seen the need for weighting. I have seen a slight list towards the driver if I'm without a passenger but looking in the mirror I don't see a difference in the wakes side to side.

I am not a senior rated driver so I'll defer to their judgement.

• Baller

@chuck_dickey you have much more seat time in the prostar. My first drive was by myself pulling a skier and with 40 lbs far port it clearly was not level. Not sure it really messed with wake but I could easily tell she wasn't level as a driver.

If I was skiing regularly without spotter and driving in same situation I would weight the port side more substantially. A spotter may be "just right". I hope to find out soon...about to have one week as a driver given I can't ski post-op. New prop on the boat since last drive, too, so excited to check it out.

• Baller
I bought a 70lb sandbag at Menard's for $3.50. Wrapped it in a garbage bag, duct taped it shut and put in on the pax side by the sidewall under the observer seat in my 02 SN 196. Rarely ever have to move it as I usually ski with only my practice partner. If I have an observer they sit in the middle of the boat.

• Baller

Batteries with the acid drained out. Heavy, nice handles and resistant to slipping around. Shot in a soft bag might be better but I'd have to pay for that.

Boats are too heavy already. Balance for tricks, deal with it for slalom.

Eric

I have a small amp and sub on the hump under the bow of my 98 SN. They are nearly on the center line. I would guess this is about 30 lbs. I have had this long enough not to care if it had a slight effect +/- on the wake.

I have experimented with 50 lbs hanging from the underside of the eye and the result was no difference in ski wake, but the boat handled terribly at idle. I took it out and haven't played with weight since then.

The only big no-no with weight in our boat is anything over 100 lbs all the way to the port side, i.e., someone sitting in the most comfortable part of the observer seat. This throws the wake off noticeably. Move the observer six inches or so to starboard and all is well.

I just started using a 150lb fatsac (made by straightline) that doesn't need to be completely full. I trailer my boat so I don't want a huge weight bouncing around in transit. If you use some common sense here even 150 lbs is still less weight on the passenger side than a typical observer. My boat is night and day different in tracking and the wakes are very different and more symmetrical. I swear by this thing and wont ski without it anymore. I also run 1/4 tank or less gas.... And it takes about 45-60 seconds to fill and empty.