Looking at new (used) ski - not sure where to start

kcwoodhead

I've just started skiing after a 10 yr hiatus and am on my 65" HO CDX-1 that from the best of my recollection is about a 2001-2002 model. I'm interested in getting a new(er) ski before too long but am not sure what I should be looking for. Before my early retirement (ie entering the real world), I ran 22 occasionally and my PB was 2@28 (34 mph). These days I'm back at 26-32 mph trying to remember how to make this all work. FYI I'm female, 33 yo.

I've had a few skis (D3 X7 and Goode Nano One) recommended to me and wanted to know if anyone else has any additional recommendations. I have seen a few 65" Radar Stradas available on ski it again recently and have no clue if that would be a good option or not - the price points (~$500) are appealing though. D3 in general was recommended to me as they tend to be more forgiving, but if I'm looking at the newer versions I'm not sure if that would be the quest or helix (I'm assuming quest, but don't know for sure).

Whatever I get I'm also going to have to deal with bindings as my HO animals are on their last thread.

Thanks!

• Baller

Most modern skis are going to be and improvement. I was on a Mapple 6.0 that was very forgiving ski. Skied a Radar Vapor and it was the easiest ski I've every been on, to me much more forgiving than a Strada. D3 X7 will make you work a little harder, I went from worn out in 4 passes on the X7 to double that on the M6.0 and not really tired. Never tried any Goode skis. D3 has a program to try a ski for 2 weeks. There's options to try other skis.

I ended up on a Strada when I returned after a long hiatus just because I got a good deal on it it served me well for a few years but the other skis i mentioned above I all liked better. I think some of the others are better options for you as far as forgiveness to mistakes.

• Baller

If you want a new ski h2Oproshop.com has a "ride it before you by it" program. I have heard good reviews on the program.

I was on a 2002 CDX 66" and I switched to a Radar Senate C 65. The Senate is great. I can't comment on D3, Goode or other models.

• Baller

@kcwoodhead‌ Agreed that any new is ski will give you a better skiing experience than your old CDX can. You can also save some money and get a significant upgrade by buying a one year old ski on Ski-it-Again.com. They are all so good that getting the one you like the look of most will be the most fun.

This will get you more than back up to speed while you research and demo other new skis. It will also allow you to get a ski that is one size bigger than recommended for 34 mph. The bigger ski will make the slower speeds less work and more productive. When you are solidly back into 34 mph, you can resell this ski on Ski-it-Again.com and buy your dream ski--maximum progress for minimum money.

@skijay are you recommending I consider going to a 66"? I have been keeping an eye on Ski-it-Again - was thinking along the same lines of getting something for now that doesn't break the bank and can do something down the line that is more expensive if I feel the need.

Thanks!

With the Vapor coming online, there are some great deals on slightly used (and even new) Stradas or Senates. As for size, you may want to consider a 66" over a 65" to make the slower speeds easier and you may find it works well at 34 mph as well.

I too came back after an 11 year break and found the Strada to be a very stable ski to ride that is packed with performance. I have not tried the D3 or Goode (in any model) but I did take a couple rides on the Connelly V I think it's called and like the way it felt.

What ever you pickup, make sure it is setup correctly (fin and binding placement) because a bad setup will make any ski suck.

Good luck and welcome back!!!

@SkiJay‌ I'm 5'5" 140-145 (normally 130-135 - recent and hopefully temporary health issues have put 8-10lbs on since spring).

Bindings are my other issue - if I invest in something fairly nice with the next new(used) purchase, what is the likelihood they would work with another purchase down the road?

• Baller

Sorry for the slow reply @kcwoodhead‌. I was skiing at a remote ski site. Yup, 66" sounds like a god idea while getting back up to speed. And as for bindings, getting good ones now is a good investment. Good bindings are extremely important to your skiing performance, they will almost certainly work on any new ski you go to, and using the bindings you are used to on a new ski makes the transition a LOT easier.

FWIW, not ALL binding systems are interchangeable. If you go with bindings that bolt to the ski, they will work on nearly all skis (older Goodes being an exception because they use Velcro-like fastening rather than bolts).