First sets on the O’Brien G5

Horton

• Administrators

I would like to tell you that this ski was love at first sight. Unfortunately the settings I started with are “No Bueno”. The good news is that I know a lot of smart skiers and the Jedi fin master known as Yoda found me some settings that I think are pretty close. The on side is currently fantastic and the off side just needs some fin tweaking to make the ski more forgiving at apex.

My second set on Yoda’s settings I was able to run a 38 and it is a big deal anytime I do that. The 38 I ran was interesting because 1 ball sucked and then somehow I was way early at 6 ball. One ball is my nemesis on every ski.

I suspect that this review period is going to involve more time searching for settings than normal but I also think this ski might be the kick ass stick that no one knows about. Time will tell.

• Baller
Skiing on the Endo/G5, I must say it is the best ski I have ever skied on. I have tied my PB and set two new PB's in the three tournaments I've skied in on this ski. It's fantastic. I'm on a 67, but my settings are a lot different then yours. 29.5. 6.835(tips), 2.510, .710, and 8 degrees on the wing.

• Administrators
I finally found settings that really work. I ran two 38s in one set this morning. I am not as smooth as I want to be yet but if I am running 38s I can't really complain.

• Administrators

@Than_Bogan‌ I think this ski is going to be easy to describe and differentiate. It is not cookie cutter so far.

Changing skis so much can't be good for my short term score but I have learned a lot.

• Administrators

@Razorskier1 my confidence and scrapping skills are up but I want to ski smooth. There are a number of skis that I did not get past 4 ball on in the last year.

I ran two first set Sunday but I also horrified the boat crew.

• Administrators

Fin setting are finally really final (Maybe)

.758 slot

Ran 2 @ 39 off dock Sunday - not super consistent but but better all the time. Have lost track on how many 38s I have run on this thing.

• Baller
That's pretty close to the fin setting that Drew gave me. Within a few thousands. Big difference is bindings. He told me 29 1/4 to 29 1/2. And the other numbers I was given before were 28 3/4 to 28 7/8. Now I want to try it again, knowing I was stupid off on binding location.

• Baller
@Horton, I finally got a chance to ride this ski in the course for the first time. I am 6' 1" and approx 218 lbs. and ski at 32 mph. My first impression is the 68.5 that I am on was very slow side to side going through the course with the current fin settings of .753 2.508 6.853 8 deg frt bndng at 30". So I am going to try making the fin shallower and adding much more length and maybe pulling it back some to make it faster and engage the front rails in the turn especially on my offside. Cross course speed is a concern and maybe I am just too heavy for this ski at 32 mph. This is a beautiful ski, graphics and fit and finish and the fin clamp is very easy to work with. I am down at Little Mountain this weekend visiting some friends and I am going to try and solicite some ski tuning advice. Do you have any suggestions?

• Administrators

Ski length / size is a endlessly unclear issue.

The 68 G5 is not a big "68" and has a soft flex. So for a bigger skier it may over flex and be a lot of work. I am 190 and only skied well on it when I was light on the line.

• Baller

Is the G5 the same as the Endo?

G5 > Endo > Elite Alpha > Elite?

I saw SIA29951 on SIA and he says..."The Endo comes from the same mold as the Elite Alpha and is built with a highly refined compression molding process. The Endo uses a lightweight PVC core and aerospace grade carbon fiber, just like the Elite skis. The Endo also utilizes the same "Sweet Spot Layup" as the Elite line of skis..." I also read somewhere that the Elite Alpha was the same as the "Elite". So I'm confused, because the G5 is nothing like the original Elite, right?