Confused about bindings

Camiflo

I've read everything I can about bindings and am confused on which way to go. I get the impression that everyone on this forum is a pro skier, which I definitely am not, but never the less, I am wanting the safest bindings/boots I can get and reasonable for my abilities and age.

I am in my late 40's, ski at 29mph 15 off and can usually make 4 balls, and sometimes all 6. I have an HO Siren (which I've never enjoyed), but have skied on my friend's Syndicate A2 and will be getting my new (used) A2 next week. :-)

I know I have potential, but keep getting injured at the beginning of the season for the past 4 seasons. 1 injury was non-skiing, but 3 were torn knee ligaments due to only one foot coming out of my boot. I was going to buy a used set of HO EXO Form bindings because I thought it would be good to keep my knees together after a crash, but after reading all the negative remarks regarding heel injuries, I don't know what to do.

I love the idea of the OB4's, but wow, they're expensive, and so new that there seems to be very little data to support its safety claims.

I realize I'll never be a pro at my age, but I do expect that if I can stay injury-free I might improve which would be nothing more than just super fun for me.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

• Baller

If you're recreational, not interested in spending a fortune, and are prioritizing safety, I'd recommend looking for used or clearance Radar Stradas. As long as you don't over-tighten the elastic laces, they're very safe, easy to use, and generally require less money and/or fiddling than Reflex, OB4 or hardshells with interloc (all arguably superior systems, but also more expensive or fussy). They don't release in every direction like OB4s, but they tend to release evenly (both feet in or both feet out) and I'd argue that over 90% of all binding/release injuries happen on out-the-front falls (you'll always find an exception, of course).

I've also noticed some affordable O'brien Prodigy bindings on ski-it-again.com, and while I haven't used them, they're apparently comparable to Radar Stradas (semi-rigid shells that release their [heat moldable] liner through a fall's pressure).

P.S. you've got the right idea: if you can stay injury-free, you can ski for a long time and keep getting better. One of my ski partners is fit and 61 and still improving bit by bit.

• Baller

Hi camiflo.

I ski at your level. My experience are from using and testing.

S2 with xo bindings.

Senate with Vector ff.

Theory with Vector aluplate.

Vector are very comfortable.

I normally loose none or both feets when I fall.

XO was not so comfortable.

S2 is a much less forgiving ski.

The Senate is actally more fun than my Theory even at 28.

Camiflo at the heart of the sport are tons of guys and girls skiing -15 at 28 to 34 mph. At my lake "I made my 32s" means I made my 32 mph passes not 32 off. Anyways- I had a nasty 1 in 1 out ankle injury on vectors a few years back after which I decided to win a pair of strada bindings from Horton and have been pleased ever since. They release with the liners when needed. But I have learned the art of skiing in control and not pushing the speed until I'm really ready. (That sounds like an automatic otf next time out) I'll trade slower progression for longevity any day.

• Baller

Re the note from @andjules‌ : "As long as you don't over-tighten the elastic laces, they're very safe..."

That part is the key. You can do up the bottom laces as tight as you want. But do NOT over tighten the top elastic laces. This will increase the risk of injury dramatically. Which will make you sad.

• Baller
I have seen 15 off ski to 38 off skiers on reflex you can tighten the boot as tight as you want and set the release as tight or loose as you want. IMO the best boot you can have. the ob4 system is great if you are a double hard shell skier. save your ankle and knees go reflex or ob4!

Thanks again for all your advice. I cannot find any, and I mean not even one of the aforementioned bindings in a size 7 for sale. Not on eBay, not on ski it again, not In any online ski shop, not even on the Radar website nor on the Reflex website. I found one size 8 left Strada boot in what seems like the entire universe, and believe me, I've now spent hours looking. I also looked for the o'brien Legion that someone mentioned and couldn't find one.

Can anyone help me find a set of Strada's or Reflex's in a size 7?

• Baller
@Camiflo‌ There is plenty of data on the OB4s. The system has been around for a couple of decades and the newest version is about as good a system as you'll find in water skiing. I'm a Strada user and a big fan, but I don't think you'll find a safer system than the OB4.

@Camiflo you'll find that the Radar products run a little small. I've run both the RS-1 and Strada bindings and have used a size 12 in both, while shoe size I've always been an 11. I found an 11 in either of the binding models to be too restrictive in the toe area.

I would encourage you to try on a pair before purchasing as you may find the same thing applies to you as well.

• Baller

@Camiflo Since you are skiing on a Siren, I'm assuming you likely are a woman. If you are a Women's size 7, you probably are out of luck w/ the Stradas. For reference, my daughter is a Women's 8, and is just able to ski in double Strada sz 8's (the smallest size made).

We heated/puffed up the liners in the oven and also put Powerstep insoles inside the liners (which take up some space).

@Camiflo if you're still looking for bindings, check into a set of Radar Vectors. They are available in small sizes. They are absolutely the most comfortable binding on the planet and will release better than the Stradas. They are not a closed toe hybrid like the Strada and the foot feel/control isn't quite as firm as Strada, but it's plenty good for skiers at our level. I just switched back to Vectors from Strada for increased safety as I'm trying to learn the course and prone to some big crashes.