Ski racks for a TXi

mlange

• Baller

I got to spend some time in a Prostar last week and one of the things I really liked was the ski racks. Having room for a couple of more skis in addition to what you can get in the trunk would be really nice.

So I'm thinking about pulling the existing carpeted structure off of one of the sides in a TXi and throwing a rack in there. Anyone have any ideas on after market racks that would work?

• Baller
Been trying to figure that option out for the last 8 year for our RLXI, was going to mount a ski rack, from a tower, and mount some sort a release behind where the Malibu oval badge is on the gunnel. Have never found a ski rack that I like.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
Tough part too is that the Prostar really cut out the gunnels to create space so the racks even with skis don't intrude on walk around room...the gunnels are thin. Harder to do in a boat other than the Prostar right now.

• Baller
The Malibu txi and lxi both have a lot of wasted space on the sides with a storage gunnel that you cant really use for skis. I wish they would remove the metal trim and cross bar from the side storage and keep in carpet like a 197 is. Our skis fit great in that even. Maybe they will rework the inside of the txi in the next few years while keeping the txi hull

• Baller
It's going to be really interesting to see how many ski boats adapt the ProStar storage racks in the future. They save so much space and are absolutely perfect for a family who might ski on a large lake and not have a dock close to a course to keep their stuff.

• Baller
MB had an optional rack on their 190-200 ski boat back in the day. (15-20 yrs) Fixed pieces of black ABS I believe. The set-up held two skis on their side and allowed at least one more on the floor, I was always surprised there wasn't a generic version to install in other boats I would buy one.

• Baller

Doesn't seem like modifying a tower rack would work very well due to how far the skis would stick out. Modifying something like a simple gun rack might work better.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rugged-Gear-Double-Hook-Dual-Lock-Gun-Rack/6457786

The tower racks all stack like this, so no matter what orientation you installed it you would get twice as much width from the side of the boat than the Prostar rack. And yes, my skis are out in the sun ;)

http://oldjeep.com/images/Malibu/07262014_1_1024.jpg

• Baller
I have a 94 Echelon with very little storage space. About 2 years ago I made a DIY ski rack for the driver side gunnel. It is nowhere as nice as the new Prostars, but does the trick for me. It holds 2 skis and is removable without tools. I dont have any pictures with skis on it, but here is one of the rack. I used a removable garage storage/organizer hanger system that I cut down. Using the existing hardware that holds the side panel into the boat, I attached carpeted 2x3 boards vertically, then cut short pieces of track for the storage system and screwed them into the boards. I cut down the hangers to the proper length then they just clip onto the track (removable). I added some small bungees that can stretch over the skis and hook around the hanger for added security. The bottom ski sits bindings down and the top ski sits bindings up. Newer boats may be able to do something a little different to allow the skis to sit on edge or inside the gunnel, but since my boat is smaller this worked best.

• Baller
With just a bit of looking, it seems that the carpeted bottom gunnel is on a separate panel from the vinyl upper. Initial look seems like it could be removed and stored in case you wanted to put back to original. Then mount a carpeted ridge strip along the floor. Finally, there’s rough fiberglass that goes upward towards the front of the gunnel that would need some carpet so the front of the ski doesn’t get scratched. Hmmm...

• Baller

@PurdueSkier I thought there would be more hard core skiers here that would’ve done this mod.

@UWSkier the rear locker is an option, but not a great one because it doesn’t dry well unless I leave the cover open every day after I ski. If I stored it in a garage that’s probably not a big deal, but on my lift it’s not so great.

• Baller

I have friend w 05 nautique that has factory / dealer option racks on one side. Holds two skis. I think they are bolt in after the fact. Maybe you can still get those.

In have not seen for a while, but recall that they are like thin metal (like 3/8” maybe) With cutouts to hold two skis at approx 45 deg angle.

You could make something too. The only tricky part is connecting to boat or at least dining a way to secure it in place. That would likely differ from boat to boat...

I can put both my wife's and my skis in the rear trunk of the RLXi (one has a RTP). Other guests have skis behind boat driver, or in walk way to open bow.

This works for river skiing. When we go to the course, load up the boat, and offload on the dock.