Best low speed wake - boat shopping

alloutsledders

I know this has been covered a ton, but I am looking to get some opinions on the low speed wakes (kids speeds) on some different boats. We have a Sport 200V that is for sale, looking to get back into a dd while the kids are little and all want to ski. Boats we are considering: TXI, LXI, 200 OB, Prostar, and 197. I would love to sell the 200V and put a little money back in my pocket, but I understand that will not happen with a new style Prostar and some of the later model boats...but if we move over at even money I am ok with that. So what boat do you think has the best low speed wake? Thanks

• Administrators

Well I disagree with both of you.

Centurion. Plus you get to keep some money.

If you are serious let's find a the promo guy nearest you and let you see for yourself.

• Baller

If you are looking for an open bow the Centurion is out. It does have great wakes.

On that list I would say the TXI, Prostar and 200 are all pretty good with the TXI being slightly worse but likely a big improvement over the 200V. Stay away from the LXI and 197 if you are looking for small wakes.

• Baller
If slow speed wakes is a major factor I would look at the malibu response lx. They are lighter and have a much smaller wake at slow speed, you can still get them with zero off and they produce a nice wake at speed too. Bad thing is it doesn't have a walk thru open bow

• Baller
If you really want to save some $$ you could look at the 'sleeper' Centurions from 2000 - 2007 the Eclipse step over OB or the T5 Walk-thru. Similar hulls that produced surprisingly small soft wakes for under $20K. But if you want newer the Nautique 200OB is hard to beat. Malibu Responses are darn nice too with a lot of room.

• Baller
I don't know about best, but my kids and a lot of the neices learned behind an LXI . Curious why you want to get rid of the Sport V though, so much nicer with kids. Can't clean the low speed wake up enough with the bow and center tanks filled up?

My kids and wife love the 2014 Prostar, 21 to 28 mph skiers, just super soft. They have skied behind them all this year several times, mostly in tournaments (Centurion/200/Malibu). Best family boat of the group as well due to the room and the ski racks.

I agree that an even move might be difficult on the new Prostar - sounds like another 200 but in a DD might fit the bill well, and there are lots of them out there! I love the 200V but I still am drawn back to the DD boats - we have 2 kids and most of the time it is only the 4 of us at the lake. . . busy weekends we tend to use the pontoon if we are at the lake house. I am sure any of the boats listed would serve us well, but like everyone else want to get the best of best if I can. Thanks for all the feedback - the sight is great

• Baller

Just to throw a little gasoline on the fire... I used my '05 Response LXI in local INT tournaments for several years to help pull the tournaments. The other boat used was always a latest model MC 197 promo boat. The novice skiers, almost to a person, would always ask the coordinator that I pull their classes with my LXI rather than have to ski behind the 197. Just saying... An '03 - 06 LXI in good condition with reasonable hours can be had for mid-$20K range if you can find one for sale.

Can't comment on the latest model 197's but have heard lots of good things concerning lower speed wakes. If you've got the other $20 - 25K to play with...

• Baller
cost doesn't matter if all you're looking at is the amount of depreciation the boat goes thru while you own it. Pick the best deal.... 14mc or 200 open bow ..I'm a cc guy, but even though the cc wake is small, it's sharp. MC sure seems soft.

• Baller
@alloutsledders - how many kids? how old? do you ski off the dock, or are you out on a public lake for the day? In other words, how much space/seating/storage do you need? Do you need an open bow? If yes, can it be a stepover or does it have to be a walk-through?

@alloutsledders Could you post the links to the 200 OBs in the high 30s? If not, what years and hours are you seeing in that price range? I've not been able to find those listings except for very high hour boats. I'm seeing more mid to lower 40s. Thanks.

Yeah, I've seen that one. Thanks for the link. That guy sells a lot of boats. Must of an "in." Hard to convince the non-course skier that over 500 hours is really nothing. I've found most with less than five hundred aren't willing to break into the thirties. I'll keep my eye out.

• Baller

@alloutsledders Sound like your kids are little, under 100lbs, get them a lightweight kids rope if you don't have one. Masterline makes one http://www.masterlineusa.com/Masterline/Pro-Series-Slalom-Ropes/P10-75M_2.html#.U-5DRWOTtyI Will really help keep the rope out of the water and less drag on the handle.

Sounds like money isn't the big issue so I would recommend the current boats. They are just better in so many ways than the older boats.

The Centurion, TXI, Prostar and 200 at 15 to 22mph are so similar your kids won't notice. They are accelerating down the back of the second wake, super cute, at those speeds. The MC 197 is not in the same class.

From 22 to 32 they are all great, people love what they are familiar with. IMHO the 200 is easiest to drive, then the Centurion. 200 just tracks by itself, the Centurion requires constant input but is so responsive its easy to place (some drivers favor that).

Sounds like 34 and 36 isnt a concern but again they are all great. Most shortline skiers at tournaments are no longer concerned about which boat they get, driver is the deal. They may have their favorite but don't worry about which one. Anyone who says there is a huge difference is full of BS. Differences yes, but splitting hairs.

BTW, only 4 so driver, two in observers seat, one behind the boat. Closed bow just fine then, if a nice CB pops up.

• Baller

@alloutsledders Sound like your kids are little, under 100lbs, get them a lightweight kids rope if you don't have one. Masterline makes one http://www.masterlineusa.com/Masterline/Pro-Series-Slalom-Ropes/P10-75M_2.html#.U-5DRWOTtyI Will really help keep the rope out of the water and less drag on the handle.

Sounds like money isn't the big issue so I would recommend the current boats. They are just better in so many ways than the older boats.

The Centurion, TXI, Prostar and 200 at 15 to 22mph are so similar your kids won't notice. They are accelerating down the back of the second wake, super cute, at those speeds. The MC 197 is not in the same class.

From 22 to 32 they are all great, people love what they are familiar with. IMHO the 200 is easiest to drive, then the Centurion. 200 just tracks by itself, the Centurion requires constant input but is so responsive its easy to place (some drivers favor that).

Sounds like 34 and 36 isnt a concern but again they are all great. Most shortline skiers at tournaments are no longer concerned about which boat they get, driver is the deal. They may have their favorite but don't worry about which one. Anyone who says there is a huge difference is full of BS. Differences yes, but splitting hairs.

BTW, only 4 so driver, two in observers seat, one behind the boat. Closed bow just fine then, if a nice CB pops up.