Big Dawg Finals Controversy

David Miller

I am very disappointed in the events that took place at the Nautique Big Dawg Finals in Texas and I want to express my feelings publicly. At the skier meeting we were informed that once we had won our pairing in the head to head we could not continue to ski. In other words if my competitor missed 38 off I was not allowed to shorten and continue to ski. I was told the reasoning for this rule is the web cast takes too long and people won’t watch it if we drag it on. I totally disagree and I believe all our spectators online and on the shore want to see us ski 39s and 41s. Some skiers choose not to ski on and that is fine but I have always felt that whether I am tired or not it is my obligation to give the crowd my best even if it affects my next round.

The second event that really delayed the tournament was a re-ride that was given to Jeff Rogers after I ran 39 in the night finals under the lights to win the pairing and he missed it. Jeff asked for a re-ride due to vehicle head lights at the end of the course. As a Big Dawg competitor for many years we are all aware headlights and camera flashes are part of the event and never before has anyone asked for a re-ride. In fact the headlights and flashes are much more intense at a venue like Okeeheelee where night finals have been hosted in prior Big Dawgs. The fact is the re-ride delayed the event over an hour and most skiers and spectators were appalled with the decision to approve the re-ride. Due to the approved re-ride I missed the opportunity to go head to head against Andy Mapple for the 1st or 2nd place in this year’s finals.

I do not have or hold any grudges against Jeff or anyone else I just sure hope we can learn from these mistakes and not repeat them in the future.

To wrap up, I have participated in the Big Dawg series from the day Greg Davis and David Miller (Ohio) started the event and I love it. The Big Dawgs are group of amateur skiers that are quite close, we encourage, support and help each other to ski our best. It is not UN common for Big Dawgs to support their competitors with coaching, ski set up or in the event of equipment failure. This is what it’s all about it’s not a pro event and it was never intended to be!!!!!!

Dave Miller

@DavidMiller... I admire your integrity and and commitment to treat everyone, even your competition with such a high level of respect. I can say that you were a class act long before the events last night and despite a tuff set of circumstances you still are a class act! You are an excellent example to all waterskiers young and old. Do what's right even when it's hard.