Early end to my season

grer0402

This will be my first post. Today we were skiing and I came around, I believe, 3 and got bent forward as well as slack. From that point I am not sure what happened, but from the video I think the handle got pulled out of my hands and hit me in the face. This equaled a broken jaw in two spots and knocked me out for a bit. Surgery should be tomorrow. It could have been worse and I will be investing in an in tow head safety thing( not sure what they call it). By the way I was at 32 off at 34mph. Any one else ending there season short due to injury?

• Baller

Good luck to all that are recovering from injuries. I'm relatively intact so far this season (knocking on wood).

My training partner not so lucky. Going for it around six ball, he took a weird, forward, face-down fall while still holding on a few weeks ago. When the rope came tight, his right arm was behind his back with hand still through the handle. Pulled the arm up behind the back and tweaked both shoulder and elbow. Could've been waay worse...

• Baller

That looks like it sucked. I hope you are feeling better and good luck with the surgery.

My season has been a mess all year. I hurt my shoulder in the winter and it never got better. I didn't ski at all until mid-June and even then I was hurting and about two weeks ago I tweaked my back and it is still bothering me. I have skied once in about 2 weeks. I went out with my buddies this morning but when I got up and warmed up before heading out on the boat I knew I shouldn't ski.

I am thinking of shutting it down for the season and trying to get healthy for next season. Every time I try to ski when I am not 100% I seem to hurt something else.

• Baller

Scott, that is exactly what mine looked like several years back. Dr. said very odd to have that on the inside of an ankle. Ended my season at the end of July and I was hoping to run deep into 38 at the Regionals & Nationals.

Grer, easy to pop a handle guard on any handle. (a lot easier than adding pics, which I can no longer figger out how to do)...

Get a Rubbermaid trash can, I like grey, and trace a pattern from the inside of your handle yoke, then cut out, drill holes for zip ties around edge, about an inch apart, and drill some bigger venting holes in the middle. Cheap and effective.

Hope you get well soon. Looks like a real bummer.

• Baller
I'm right there with you guys. Tore up my ankle pretty bad coming around 5 ball @ 36 MPH, 15 OFF yesterday. I can't hobble on it yet for anything more than just a few steps, but it's too early for the bruising. Doctor estimated 12 weeks of recovery from the MRI, but nothing too severe thankfully. Good luck everyone!

• Baller

Stuff just happens, for sure. Right when you don't expect it. Last jump set before going to

the 1975 Nationals, I wrecked my knee. Hmmm...some suspicions that having my wife in the

boat was some kind of hex on me. Not the the first time.

Strange things can happen. Took a late pass at the ramp, tripped over the corner, and ended

up getting a binding nut hit just above my eye. Another time, landed well, bounced out of my

skis, turned around, and here comes one of my skis to bonk me. While wearing a helmet of

sorts. And getting stitches from it.

My father, who was an insurance agent, called me "accident prone". Jumping these days is

something that you want to learn with a good coach, and not be self-taught, like lots of us

were back in the old times.

Got to give Scot Ellis credit for still facing the 6 foot ramp at over age 40, speaking of people

who are "accident prone", as anyone of that age would be for participating in such a dangerous

sport, that is pretty much of an extreme sport.

Thanks guys! Doing ok... Jaw will be wired shut for 6 to 8 weeks and they put one plate. Pain isn't to bad, still bleeding, which is annoying. I'm an ICU nurse and just didn't want to get sent there last nite:). They were concerned about my airway because of the swelling. Hoping they will let me work with the wired jaw. For everyone else who has injuries, get better soon!