Boat Speeds, not times

IheartJump

So another topic had me curious about what good times are for PP. I noticed when I was driving a buddy that I would surge in the course and go from -.04 to +.02 from one ABT segment to the next (around 4 ball), so the boat made up .06 seconds in one segment, and I could tell because the speed shot up to ~37.4 mph

Now I could tell this as the driver, and a boat judge would have heard that the engine started going nuts. But the fact remains that you can end the passes within tolerance and yet be far outside of the variation in speed rules that AWSA and IWWF state.

Monitoring the speed to +/- 0.8 kph is technically the responsibility of the boat judge who is supposed to be watching the skier. So it would really be a gut feel call from the boat based on feeling or hearing a surge.

The real question is, with all of the technology built into zero off and PP, why are we still only calling in 1 time at the end of each pass, when the computer has the ability to tell you whether the pass was good?

I think the boat judge should have a keypad of 0-6 and after calling the buoys he hits the right key and the computer will say “good pass” or “bad pass – skier’s choice to reride” or “bad pass – reride mandatory”

In addition to the average speed throughout the pass (which is total distance / total time) the computer can analyze all of the buoy times for accordance with the rules and make sure everything is ok.

You’d think that with end course video measuring tolerance of inches, that we’d have a more sophisticated timing analysis than an automated stopwatch.

• Baller

What version of PP are you using? I see that alot with StarGazer and Z-Box, but rarely see it with ZO. As a boat judge, I prefer the current system. I know how the boat should feel throughout the course and will offer rerides to the skier if something strange happens. The sport is already burdened with too much use of technology the way it is. No need for any more.

Kelvin Kelm

• Supporting Member

I think we need to go the opposite direction: Stop recording times. ZO is more consistent and accurate than anybody could have ever hoped.

If you hear or see something go wrong, use Judgement (thus the name Judge) and call for a reride. We've finally crossed the point where we need less data and more judgement.

I love interesting data as much as anybody. But useless data just wastes everyone's time. I shall now demonstrate:

16.95 16.95 16.96 16.95 16.96 16.97 16.97 16.95 16.95 16.94 16.93 16.95 16.95 16.94

• Baller
There is a somewhat "check and balance" involved in recording times. Mistakes are made, despite our best efforts. If an incorrect speed is entered, it may well be discovered only when reported. For example, once upon a time, I was a boat judge and a young lady asked for 34. I'm sure the driver repeated back to her, and I called in 34. We get to the other end and the driver says "93". I'm about to call in "6 with a 93" when I think "that's a bit unusual for ZO". I asked the driver "what .93?" He says 17.93. So you see, her options were impacted by knowing the time.

i just bought it from the PP factory in january so it's the latest and greatest as far as I know.

Also i'm saying we should use technology to get better and reduce the burden of judging. no more calling in times, just good or not good. also this is not sophisticated analysis... i can make a spreadsheet that does the same thing, it would just need to be built into the ZO software... easy enough for an intern to do. they could roll it out as an option that you could turn on / off and still run tournaments the same way, but if the technology was available and it made things run smoother i think people would use it.

leon... interesting bit of info, i didn't think that, still interesting though because we only report the last 2 digits, yet calling in a .93 would give you a good time for 30, 32, 34, and 36.

so that check is a credit to you more than the system

• Baller
You know...this is a perfect example of why I've never been much of a competitor in any sport. Everyone nit picks and squawks every stupid little thing and it really takes the fun out of it for me. I understand some people love the thrill of competing but I love the ability to reride or "try that again" if something happens or if there is a disturbance in the force. I enjoy my own personal progression and knowing...yes I can do that. Of course the major downside to my mentality is missing out on the friends that one can make at these events...maybe one day I'll be able to block this out.