Ski like Stein.......Interesting

JAS

• Baller

Nice pic but... Stein was born in 1927 and retired in 1954. Nobody skis like that anymore, they did crazy stuff to force those "skis" to turn. Bob Lange with plastic boots (1962) and Howard Head with metal skis (1950) changed skiing.

Water ski slalom is not like Alpine slalom, it's more similar to Alpine GS. Really we want to ski like Ted!

3qmpqvz424zc.jpg

• Baller
Considering all of the improvements in equipment these guys are more similar than different. Actually I think K2 fours and Brody Miller was the game changer. (Note Stein' s open shoulders) different sports for sure, just interesting.

• Baller

Thought-provoking for sure @JAS. Reminds me of discussions around the height of 'West Coast Slalom'. Some principles taken to the extreme and looking contorted instead of what's naturally athletic. Lots of slalom concepts—albeit exaggerated—in the Stein photo.

Also note how much Stein's photo looks like an offside turn (outer leg in front), and Ted's is more like an onside turn. Also—as equipment improves—note 'smear' vs 'carve'. Not sure there's a lesson in Stein's, but it's interesting.

• Baller

Stein is a skid, the static picture doesn't really show that. Those guys had a huge un-weight between turns, and the skis were forced around. No metal edges (introduced later by Bob Lange again), no flex balance, no sidecut. Brute force on un-groomed (grooming didnt exist) But they still hauled a$$, crazy fast for the equipment they were on.

What Stein and Ted are doing to the ski is very different, but how they do it is similar. Same skeleton and muscle groups putting pressure to the ski through the bottom of the foot.

Granted Stein is exaggerating for the picture, but for those of us that raced in the 60,S and before, we used reverse shoulder ( counter rotation) to get close to the gates. They didn't move . Little did we know that we were also unlocking our upper body from our lower, so we were angulating. I also used this style on the water and it seemed to work. Been doing it for 50 years. Did it today. Feels good.

• Administrators
Need to quietly encourage the Ballers to not go down this path. Theorize all you want but talk about it but talk to a pro coach before you focus on it on the water.

• Baller

Back on vacation in Utah, I once skied at Deer Valley. High end and high end and $$ nearby to

Park City. Immaculately groomed slopes. Anyway, I had finished a run, and was hanging around

in the chairlift line. Here comes this guy cruising in. I thought: hmmm...sorta of looks like...

Holy S**t it is him. Should have told him nice going in the GS at the 1952 Olympics, but I was

too stunned to do anything but stare.

Next to a few people such as Franz Klammer, John Claude Killy, and Hannes Schneider,

Stein is such an icon of skiing. We do have such people in water skiing, but we are a bit

of a minor sport. However, I would certainly put the LaPoints up for consideration, along

with some others from the Old Days, such as Warren Witherell. Unfortunately, many of

the leaders and innovaters of the sport have now left us.

• Baller

Negative: Slalom w/Ted Ligety. Back in the old days, before flex poles, you would have been

clobbered if you got that close to a gate, when some of the bamboo poles were about halfway

like trees.

As in when I caught a tip on one at Stowe and ended up with a broken leg. On April 13th, which

pretty much ruined my water ski season.

• Baller

@BRY, not only handguards: shinguards, body position, arms position, single pole gate, straight ski poles... And actively hitting the pole with the outside hand...

No way to be in that position with R35 skis.

I have had the pleasure of Skiing with Stein on two occasions and he is great guy. I also skied many times with another snow skiing legend Alf Engen. But skiing with Bode was like skiing with Evel kneivel on steroids he is and unbeliveable free skier. I had the pleasure of teaching at Alta for 20 years. To compare snow skiing and water skiing is like apples and oranges. Just because they both use angle, rotation, and pressure. they are used in very different ways and in a different manner.