Fin Setting Changes for Cooler Water and Fin Clamp Problem

BigC

As the water has started to cool off, I have noticed that my skiing has improved. In particular, on my off side turn, the ski flows smoothly through the apex and under the rope with a nice even pick up of the load from the rope. Earlier in the season, I was getting some stalling of the ski and sometimes a pretty good hit (slack) at the end of the turn. I thought it was just my lack of talent (probably is mostly) but last spring, I seem to remember that in the turns were on average smoother, much like they are now. I think I have a good fin setting for cooler water. My question is, what fin settings should I change next summer when the water starts to warm up again?

On another note, my fin creeps to a longer length with each set. Over a course of maybe six sets, the fin will get as much as .010 - .015 longer. The clamp is as tight as it will go but the problem persists. Anyone else see this this issue?

• Baller_
@BigC: What is the fin thickness compared to the slot thickness of the fin clamp? There is probably a mismatch there. Can you see the clamp markings on the fin and are they concentrated right around the bolts, that would indicate too much gap or a too thin fin. You could try to put some serrations on the fin via a punch along the clamping surface. A snap punch works great for this purpose. I assume the fin block does not have the set screws to lock in the location.

• Baller
Check the screws mounting the clamp to the ski. And the batteries in yer caliper. So, I "live" in cold water. When I set up a ski, I get it where I want it, then loosen her up a bit, a bit foward and a little less length. (Say . 005 foward and about . 015 less length)

• Baller

@BigC - Due to the changes in dynamic viscosity the ski will tend to ride a bit higher in cold water than it does in hot water. To compensate you need to make a fin change that will pull the ski down in cold water, or in your case let the ski ride higher in hot water. I've found that making small DFT and Depth moves tend to work best. As the water gets cooler I'll bump the fin back and deeper. As the water warms up you want to go forward and shallower.

In your case it sounds like the fin is in about the right spot for cold water. When it's warm though the fin is too far back and deep, making the ski not want to rotate, and causing the slow turns and slack you're experiencing.