Traveling to FL for week of slalom at private course, what else should we do in Orlando?

GaryWilkinson

• Baller

So it's been over 30 years since I was at McClintocks for a winter camp when I was competing.

This time, me! Pierre, Diane and a couple of others are going to the Montverde area for a 9 day slalom-fest at a rented home with a course.

I texted Katie at Mapple to see if we can get a set on the new Torque skis but where else should we go?

Planning to visit Performance but other than that, what would you recommend?

Any other pros running schools in the area?

Theme parks not our thing, but we're open to suggestions for killing some time between sets.

Plus, any tricks to prep our hands?

Thanks, and you're in the area, let me know!

GW

• Baller

@GaryWilkinson‌

You might want a set with legendary Lucky Lowe for something a little different. Wade Cox is back in the coaching business. Time spent with Drew Ross or Matt Rini is always time well spent, and this is just scratching the surface in and around Orlando.

Palm guards are a good idea while the water is still warm, and bring some duct tape just in case.

Assuming you haven't worn yourself out skiing, there is also:

wind tunnel sky diving at iFly - https://orlando.iflyworld.com/

Richard Petty's Driving Experience - http://www.drivepetty.com/

And when u r hungry:

https://www.facebook.com/hawkersstreetfare

www.lecoqauvinrestaurant.com

http://www.eddiev.com/ (jazz & blues as well + great food)

https://www.seasons52.com/en/locations/FL/Orlando/4501

and maybe try some of these:

http://www.10best.com/destinations/florida/orlando/restaurants/seafood/

This is our shortlist after several years of research...

• Baller

@GaryWilkinson‌ You are going to love that place in Montvede if you haven't been before. Myself and a few friends have rented Drews place for the past few years. Great location. He will tell you to go to Bellacolina the golf course as his guest....do it! It's an amazing facility even if you just go for a beer. We brought flyboard of Orlando to the lake last year and it was a riot! Great fun. There is a ramp right on the property and they drop the seadoo in and you can try it right in front of the house. We did a airboat Gator tour the one year just south of Orlando which was also amazing. I have a video somewhere of our buddy Rod who actually reaches down and grabs the gators tail! I have never seen anything move that quickly in my life. Made us all jump like little school girls to the other side of the boat!

The course is right in front of the dock and is pretty protected most of the time. Tight setup at the far end but you get used to it quickly. Just drop really close to the shore there is quite a bit of water in close.

Also a trip to see Matt Rini is a must. When you go to Performance (bring your Visa!) stop in for a set or two. When you get back to Lake Florence you can practice what he taught you.

Enjoy it's truly a great place.

https://www.flyboardsorlando.com

http://airboatridesorlandofl.com

• Baller
@GaryWilkinson‌ enjoy your trip, I'll be in Orlando from 30th -5th for work wish I would have thought ahead and made time for a ski day. Those gators swimming around would scare the sh!!! out of me. @skihart‌ thanks for the gator sight seeing airboat ride advice I booked my ticket for it this morning.

• Baller

Yikes, stayed at that joint last fall and no gators seen...that gator is big. There are periodic aerators in the lake that one time freaked me out as I came thru the course...told the driver I saw something big breach out of the corner of my eye.

One of our group ran into Kris Lapoint on the driveway...and @wish came over to ski with us. We hit Andy's which was a relatively short trip, too. Great trip.

It was a fun but to do over again I would probably VRBO at swiss some sweet private homes for rent there. At this place short set-up on the one end, we ran into some wind, and there's a place in the corner that had a bunch of jet-skiers shutting us down at times...may have been bad timing for us. I can't remember the name of the guy that met us there on Drew's behalf that lives on the lake...really nice guy who showed us the ropes of the place and skied with us at times as well. Neighbors on the one side were nice people, too, affording us some tools when we needed 'em. We didn't have time to hit the country club but the facility looked first rate as we drove by it going to/from dinner and to get gas.

Biggest tip...don't go barefoot from house to dock...wear your sandles or have thistle like slivers in your feet.

You will have a great time.

• Baller

Great tips @6balls‌.

My buddy Pierre and Diane were there last year at the same time and had super calm water and no gators. What time of year were you down there?

Hopefully jet skiers were vacationers too not locals and it was a 1 time thing for you.

Will bring flip-flops fer shur

So far tentatively planning

Afternoon with KC

Trip to mapple for a seT !

Flyboard possible

Rini's possible, where is his training site?

Must trip to Performance.

Sheesh all that and 2-3 sets a day?

Back to the weight training !

• Baller
Rini's place is right at the intersection of the Florida Turnpike (249) and Orange Ave. It is just to the of the intersection of 417 and 249. BTW his map on his website is wrong. You have to pay attention on how to get into the site especially if you are coming from the south on Orange Ave. the lake is on the West side of Orange and it is as soon as you come over the overpass.

• Baller

@6balls‌ @GaryWilkinson‌ The pic makes the gator look bigger than it was. It was max 4 feet or so. In the fall when the water cools they like to lie in the sun in the afternoon. That's why airboat tours at lake Toho are also good at that time.

Andreas is the guy who will meet you and is super nice and helpful. When we were there he and a buddy were the only other people to use the course for a couple of sets.

Wow lots of info here. We stayed there at Easter 2014 and loved it. The skier on the lake is Andreas originally from Austria. Glad to ski with him and then had to have my wife learn to drive the course...worked out fine but my love was not comfortable with the short set up. We also went to Rini's and have been to Performance many times. The Crystal River and Homosassas Springs State Park is a great low key way to unwind too. Unfortunately this year Easter is booked.

Does Swiss include ski sets with rentals? Any other place similar to this?

Looking for this Easter2015.

• Baller

It's short but the boat gets to speed in time straight into the course...just barely but it's there in time for your gate pull out. We experimented a bit with starting toward shore and turning as well. Both worked ok. If nervous driver straight in is best but you do want to make sure your skier is placed close to shore on that end to give you the most room. Bottom drops off fairly quick so there is depth in pretty close.

At swiss the sets are separate from rentals and you don't drive yourself. Coaching available as well. For example:

http://www.vrbo.com/320617

$200 per night but big home that could be split up among skiers or couples.

• Baller_

thats a small gator in that picture! But even so, i may have grown up in florida, i dont make it a point to see them that often. if you want to see some monsters check out gatorland they have some of the biggest in the state that had to be removed from lakes.

@GaryWilkinson‌ looking forward to seeing you down here!

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller
I agree with all who said to see Rini. Great coach. I know you are not a theme park guy, but at night after skiing all day I would go to Epcot world showcase. A lot of good food and drink. Especially if you are going there at the end of next month with the food and drink expo.

• Baller

Ok, so we leave tomorrow for FL!

Planned:

- KC at our site on Tuesday

- Andy on Wednesday

- Rini, when we can get in

- Museum no firm time/day yet

- Flyboarding, no firm time/day yet

- Airboat alligators, same

- Performance ski & surf, as soon as we get there! Gotta get new armour for my now soft hands.

- Maybe: lucky Lowe, jack Travers. Various restaurants that Ballers suggested, thanks.

Weather looks suspect but if it's calm and not raining all day were good!

Having trouble sleeping, haven't skied in 3 weeks and my body and hands are now soft.

It'll be great, I'm sure so long as the gator stays by bob Lapoints dock!

Any last ideas, thoughts?

Thanks so much for all the input.

Gw

• Baller

Don't forget to mention you are skiing with Matt as you will get a discount at Performance. I am sure KC probably has the same deal. Also Performance will let you demo a ski or 10 if you like as well. I figure between Rini ,KC and Andy you should be going home with at least a couple new skis!

HAve fun, I am there in November and can't wait!

• Baller

Update:

Conditions so-so, sunny, 80 deg glass water for average 4 hrs a day

HO-hum another day in paradise.

Our session with KC was tremendous! @Than_Bogan‌

What a great young man, and I'm not talking about his skiing.

We truly are lucky to have such great ambassadors in our sport.

Everyone's improving, especially me, I have lots to correct.

KC at -39.5 below. Nice drive Pierre

fc9qg99xg712.jpg