Best method to tweak PP SG for pull?

Tdub

The season is ending here in our area but I do have some time to tweak settings in Perfect Pass. I tried using Classic mode, one of my sons liked it, the other didn't. I kinda thought the pull seemed better (softer) but I am going to stick with GPS. That being said, how can I best mess with crew weight, KX, and other settings to give me a nice soft pull? The last time out it was a bit choppy and the boat felt like it was going a million miles per hour. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• Baller_
@Tdub: dropping the Kx to - values will delay the pull a bit. Dropping skier weight will make the pull feel softer/slower, the opposite happens when too much is entered, dropping crew weight will also do the same. The wind adjust parameter will also slow the boat speed, about a .1 second for each 20# change (lower). One side effect I have noticed, if you slow or soften the pull you will tend to lose width, although you will gain some time as the boat will be going slower (other than the Kx change).

• Baller

Dumb comment if you're already there, use a switch. Use any setting other than normal zero. I've never used ZBox so ignore me if it doesn't accept a switch. If you struggle with the setup, buy a ZO boat. Sorry, ridiculous comment.

I'm a big fan of PP Classic kx- px10 with my weight set 100 pounds overweight and a working switch. Or ZO.

Eric

We had a similar problem with a Stargazer system in a 97' ProStar 190. After inverting the tach reading, the pull was consistent without a skier, but was horrible skiing @ 34 and 36mph. It would slow down way too much into 1, then race away the rest of the course. We ended up having to go in and make dramatic changes to the "Internal Settings". Perfect Pass was very helpful in supplying instructions on how to access and change, but not so much when it came to advising on some numbers that would work. Internal settings on our system are for "Ball 1", "Ball 3", and "Ball 4 to Exit". There's different numbers for light skiers, heavy skiers, 34, 36, etc.. Generally the default numbers were @ 10, 60, and 30, respectively. We arrived at numbers that were real close to 20,20,20. These are working very good, but it's a bit disconcerting why we have to be so far away from "stock".

• Baller
I talked to one of the techs at PP a couple weeks ago because I am planning on adding the system to my boat. He told me the latest software version (8.0.5 I think) is pure GPS and does not use an RPM base. We did not get into discussing the kind of settings you guys are talking about, but I am curious to know if you guys are using the latest software version and if that makes a difference.

• Baller

@rockdog - Do you have some insight on the next PP version and in particular how it may affect the settings being discussed here? Please share.

I did just find on the PP website a "News" note from earlier this summer:

June 24, 2014

New GPS Slalom Mode for Wake Edition

Star Gazer Wake Edition now features a new GPS Slalom Mode that is perfect for course skiing. Designed for skiers who still enjoy running buoys but do not require the exacting tolerances of the Star Gazer Three Event. Accurate, simple to use, no calibrating and features No Magnet Timing.

The "no calibrating" part suggests that this version has done away with settings used in previous versions and supports what the PP tech guy told me a couple weeks ago about the latest software version.

• Baller

@TallSkinnyGuy‌ I don't know anything about the 'wake edition', I have 3 event.

I don't ski shortline yet so not sure how much difference it makes, but I thought my SG 8.02 on my GT-40 worked great as soon as I put it in. It is a little hot at 1 ball but I don't notice all this surging people talk about through the course. Makes me wonder whether I'm missing something or did I just set it up correctly in the first place?

End course time is spot on, though I'll have to check all ball times again soon, our season is just about to start.

@GregHind‌ seems a guru and suggests latest 8.05 is good for short setups so think I'll upgrade and might consider Z-box.

• Baller
@GregHind I've been in contact with Perfect pass throughout the summer. I was told that they are working on GPS only version. It's in testing now to be released latter this year. Hopefully good news?! How does the simple Slalom feel as compared to the current 3 event?

• Baller

@TallSkinnyGuy‌ I tested that software for them late last year. It worked great/felt good. However, if you are a serious skier you want z-box.

@skiboyny, I'm not sure if you are talking about the simple slalom mode or some new tournament mode, based on simple slalom but extended and improved to incorporate z-box. Do you mean simple slalom mode (which is GPS based) or something else?

• Baller
@greghind I believe that what is coming out is a GPS for the 3 event. It probably will be a mode I wouldn't think they would re-write the whole system. Like the simple slalom there will be no baselines. I was going to add z-box but skiing is about over here. I thought it best to wait till the software is updated.