Slippery Ski Handle

jdski

I recently purchased a couple of Radar handles that were older, but still in new packaging. When I tried using one, it was very slippery and I could barely hold on. I mentioned this to a fellow skier and he stated that it seemed like common knowledge on how to clean a new handle with some product to make it clean and tacky. I have never not used a handle straight out of the package with no slippery effects. Can someone please help? Thanking you in advance. John

• Baller

I bought my wife a RADAR handle, never again......... even if they fixed their crappy hardening issue. Just never again.

However, you can use some heavy sandpaper and cut through the hardening. I have seen it as an abrasive wheel mounted on a cordless drill.

• Baller

@jdski‌ There are lots of race tire prep solutions on the black market and even some good home brews as simple as Brake Kleen (google "race tire softeners"). You paint the tires with it and it makes old tires like new and new tires even sticker. Most are illegal in most racing series because they are so flammable, but they work. I just thought the price would make buying a new MasterLine handle more cost effective. But this morning it occurred to me that RC cars must have the same thing. Sure enough:

xtreamclean.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=38&Itemid=67http://

• Baller

@mwetskier‌ hahaha. Perhaps a new product line!! That one made me laugh out loud!

@SkiJay‌ I do like the idea of a tire treatment like that. Any idea of the rubber compound on a ski handle is actually similar to that of a typical tire?

I've been sanding and scuffing up handles that "get slick" for years. I might have to try a few of those home remedies to see if they work. What's really interesting is that the changes are essentially "permanent" in the sense that it's not just a surface coating that'll wear off. Thanks for posting.

• Baller

The first 2 Radars I had years ago were great. At some point they changed the compound and the next one I got was unusable. Perf Ski took it back and sent me a ML. Good service there.

On a side note. I had a college roommate who had a bad back as well. Started having problems with his handle being slippery. Tried sandpaper, slicing it with a razor, nothing worked. One day before he skied I saw him slathering Flexall and Icy Hot all over his low back. I asked him if he washed his hands before he went out to ski. "No, should I???"

• Supporting Member

I find actual sand (usually a lot available on the bottom of the lake) is more effective than sandpaper. For new gloves and/or handles, I grab a big scoop of mud and rub the gloves together and/or work the handle. (And yes, it's almost as obsene as it sounds.)

Actually learned this trick from @MikeT. Very effective.

• Baller

Usually when my forearms start hurting during or after I ski (assuming I'm skiing consistently) it's a good sign that the handle is getting slick. I have to squeeze the handle tighter - especially noticeable on deep water starts.

Then a few minutes with some 60 grit sandpaper (after the handle is FULLY dry) and it's back to normal. If that lasts a relatively short time, it's time for a new handle unless there's another reason.

Also important is keeping it out of direct sunlight.

• Baller

The posting about slippery handles awakened a few memories.

Back in the back-when a little after 1970, I believe that I was the first person to make golf-grip

type handles. With actual golf grips slipped on from both ends over an Aluminum high-strength

tube that was foam-filled. The whole deal actually floated. I called it the "Ultra Handle", and it sold for the large amount then of $25. all strung up, and also pre-tested to 700 lbs.

Anyway, here is some more history regarding slippery handles:

Before just about everyone had a personal handle, there were some people who would put

sun tan oil on their upper arm, and ride back behind the boat after a missed pass going away.

When riding back, they'd cradle the handle in their arm to get the stuff on the grip. So the next

slalomer would get a greasy handle. Nice sportsmanship, eh? Another trick on a return pass

was to run the course backwards, hoping to leave rollers for the next skier.

I found about this when I was a Sr. Driver. Tended to happen at tournaments in the more

southern part of the Eastern Region. I don't see anything like this happening now.

• Baller

I got a Radar handle last season, never have been very happy with it. Just bought an Ergo Masterline, though hasn't arrived yet.

@Than_Bogan‌ that's how I clean sunscreen off my hands, it' s the most readily available substance when at the river/lake.

• Baller
@Edbrazil‌ I remember the Ultra. We were using them in south Jersey on the Great Egg Harbor Bay, Egg Harbor River, Tuckahoe River, and Patcong Creek. That was a good 8 to 10 years before any of us started using gloves. Great grip in it's time!

Read my second post at the end of the thread about my new Radar handle

I have a two year old bright green strada handle that seems to get slippery when it is cold. However, the guy I ski with has a brand new standard black vapor handle and the material seems different and stays tacky at the colder temperatures. My handle looks cooler but I don't when it pops out of my hands.

• Baller_
A word of warning on tire softening compound - it will make the handle sticky and grippier, but most likely will end up leaving your gloves with a light sticky coating of black slime, along with anything that touches the handle until it is worn off. It is also a short term solution, the handle will return to it's old self after a while so another application will be needed.

• Baller

I use surf wax to make a handle a bit grippier. It doesn't last forever but helps - at least psychologically.

Surf wax is great for slippery toe harnesses.

New gloves can also be slippery. I stab the clincher strap with a hot ice pick and paint the strap with wetsuit glue. Works great.

Eric

• Baller

@SkiJay Can I use some of that rub to put on my ass? I would love to make my old rear end look like brand new! Wait, strike that......uh, how about instead I borrow some for my wife. To hell with my butt, I think I would be happier having her look brand new!!!! :)

And @jdski InTow will cause you to never think about any issues you could ever have with a handle.

• Baller

@nzwaterski - makes me curious what all these other handles work like since we've been using radar handles for at least the last 3 years. Can't say I've ever had a grip issue with any of them except for when the grip shreds from use. Main reason I've been buying them is that they are the fattest handle I've found 1.1 - if I could get an even fatter one I'd buy it.

Might also have to do with the slippery gloves that some folks seem to like - my accurates are very grippy, while the Kevlar type gloves I've tried I can't stand.

• Baller
If anyone has a Radar handle they are not satisfied with for being slippery or for failing in any other manner, we will replace it. We did have a problem with some of the early pink and green compound handles hardening and becoming slick. Contact the shop you bought it from and they can return it to us for replacement.

Update on my bright green Radar handle.

I called Radar and told them about my handle and guess what showed up today..... a brand new neon green handle. When I unboxed the handle it had just been sitting outside in 25* weather and the grip was softer and grippier that cold then my old one ever was. Thanks, Radar.

• Baller

does anyone hsve any exerience about what water 'types' would make your handle/ gloves slippery? Currently in spain, skiing on a resevoir and my gloves/ handle have suddenly lost about 50% grip. Brand new ML handle and good condition MN gloves. I had a couple of sets back in the UK with this setup, and there were grippy as hell.....out here, my grip feels soapy. I have NEVER popped the handle, but i have here - twice....i can feel my grip tightening to compensate....

I skied here in may with no probs..but since then, the water level has dropped significantly..now a very dusty environment and water seems quite silty..

• Baller
the site of the 2015 worlds in Chapala Mexico is said to be very slippery. Most trickers used gloves and skiers did some other things to make their grip more sticky. Apparently the site skis well, but very different from what most of us are used to. Hoping to get down there in the next few years to test for myself!

• Baller

I was thinking along the lines of the worlds in Mexico...

Anyway, i think i have sorted the problem... Before each set, thouroughly wash your hands, gloves and handle with washing up liquid....grip restored... Forearms are still f@@ked, but atleast i don't have to grip the handle like my life depended on it anymore....

• Baller
I’m struggling with grip fatigue that seems to be related to slippery new gloves and/or new handle. Is this what all this soap business is about lately? It’s killing my left forearm (LFF- so palm down). Soap, sand, brake cleaner - I can barely hold on - what do I try?

• Baller

soap business is about getting the oils/sunscreen off your hands. if the gloves are new, yes can't hurt to wash them with soap and water, but they should break in after just a few sets

what kind of gloves are you using? size of handle?

• Baller
@Bdecker Check with Brenda on the handle. I know she had an issue with the first prototype that were slippery, but don't believe any were sold to the public. The Blue Bomb grip is much better than most other handles.