How do I get gas out of a neoprene life jacket

skiray

A five gallon can turned over in my truck and poured a couple of gallons out on my daughters jacket. Any way to get it out or do I just order another one?

I've never seen that type of can turn over before. Got two ski socks and a life jacket. Make sure you do a better job tieng your up.

• Baller
@Intheday I wouldn't put it in the washing mashine. Would be concerned about it stinking like gas afterwards when the wife goes to put in a load of whites. I think my washer had a warning about not washing stuff soiled in gas/oil/solvents when I installed it.

• Baller

At the end of the season I always put jackets and Neo tops, etc., in our slop sink filled with warm water with Tide added in. You sort of have to push down on the jacket all,over repeatedly to get it to suck in the water, then I fill with cool water only and rinse it out the same way until no more soap comes out. Usually takes a couple rounds to get all the soap out. It's amazing how dirty the water is.

You might be able to do a few rounds of soap like this and throw some lemon in.

• Baller

Aren't fuel lines neoprene? Of course there are other foam flotation fillers so @boarditup‌ is right - inspect the vest carefully as the insides may have been damaged while the outside looks fine.

Of course, I removed the foam filler on a vest for some crazy experiment. I still have the vest, it floats a bit, protects a bit and sort of fools the harbor patrol. Not as safe but sometimes useful.

Bring your gas soaked vest to our hot dry desert. It will bake out. Hopefully it won't spontaneously combust - and you won't either.

Eric

Fuel lines are typlically nitrile rubber - a few other synthetic compounds are also used. Some of the older hoses did have a neoprene covering over the reinforcing, but I don't think you can find those anymore - nothing with a USCG stamp, anyway. Look at the recommendations for protective gloves - neoprene is not rated for any gasoline contact. Both gasoline and alchohol are hard on neoprene.

• Baller
you could get some Citrus cleaner and add to the Tide or laundry detergent, then soak in slop sink and then agitate the heck out of it. Aside from that, I would be at a loss if I did that a few times and still stunk. Let it hang outside to air out, and if it still smelled, sell it on SIA. (jk)!

• Baller

Crud! This just happened to me, yesterday. Thankfully, my car's trunk had a rubber liner which kept the carpet protected. Unfortunately, my Eagle vest soaked up about a pint of gas.

I rinsed it out as much as possible on site. When I got home, I filled a plastic storage tub with water and Simple Green cleaner and worked it for about 30 minutes, replacing the water a couple of times. Then, I let it soak overnight. We'll see...

Other steps to try will include:

Coating in Baking Soda to soak up oils

Washing/Soaking in Vinegar and Water

More Baking Soda...