Does a ski designed for 34mph out perform the 36mph skis... at 34mph?

Tuney

I've always skied 36mph skis, but I ski at 34mph... So I am wondering if making my next ski a 34mph ski would be a benefit for me? The question seems to have an obvious answer, but a lot of 34mph skiers are on the premium 36mph skis.

For example the radar vapor and Senate.

• Baller
I'm pretty sure you can tune any high end top of the range ski to work at 36 or 34. The real challenge would be to name one that works at one speed and not the other. There is a big difference between long line 36 and shortline 34...

• Baller
I'm also curious what others say about this but my guess is it depends on how short of lines you normally ski. Most 34mph ski's may have a little more support at slower speeds which you may be able to accomplish going up a ski size if you're on the upper weight limit of your 36mph ski. The problem with most 34mph ski's is they have a less aggressive core than the 36mph ski's.

• Baller
I don't like to classify skis as "34mph skis" or "36mph skis." The main difference is the height at which they ride in the water. I ski on a D3 helix, considered by some to be a "34mph ski" into 35 off at 36, and I love it. I guess it depends on your skiing style. I personally like fast skis because I can manage the speed at the ball

• Baller_
I bought my Goode 9300 (actually a 9336 - 36 mph ski) from a 34 mph skier a few years ago. That ski is very fast and wide at 34 mph, more so than my other 34 mph skis. The 34 mph skier I bought it from must know something - he just won the over 65 Worlds, albeit now at 32 mph. It skis even better at 36 mph and seems to be excellent in colder water, which is the only time I really use it much anymore. One thing seems evident to me: there is a difference.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Administrators
I do not think there is such a thing as a high end 34 mph specific ski anymore. S2 was sort of marketed that was but a lot of the pro 36 mph skiers rode it.

My humble response being young and dumb....

34 mph skis usually have a bit more buoyancy, width to the nose, and are a bit softer flex. All these components help with skiers as they get "older", a bit "wider", and not in the shape they were in in their younger years. The 34 mph ski will help them run multiple passes w/out fatiguing them as easily as a skinnier ski.

The difference for me between skiing an A3 and S2 is night and day...but I'm young and dumb....and not that great of a skier either.

• Baller

Joe. You are correct. Young and.... not that experienced yet. :) Come to a Big Dawg. Check out the level of fitness of the top guys. Ask Dave Miller if he is tired after his 4th set of the day running into 41 every time. He will laugh at you. (In a friendly manner BTW)

Now if you are talking about the shaped skis made easier to get up on, etc, then you may be right, but the question here was about high end 34 vs. 36. Horton is right. No difference. Fred Halt apparently ran 5@41 at 36 this summer and 1@43 at 34 this weekend. I would be willing to bet on the same ski.

• Baller
Interesting question. Having started course skiing at age 39, I have always skied 34 mph. I am now 58. After all these years, 2 months ago, I decided to see what 36 MPH feels like. I am on a 66.5 Mapple T-1, set up by the Master himself. The ski works great for me at 34 MPH. I skied 36 MPH for one month. After the initial "holy s@*%*" this is fast, I was able to get used to the speed and actually felt the ski worked the same at 36 MPH as it did at 34 MPH. ( Buoy count was lower at 36 MPH by almost a pass due to the speed, not the ski...4 or 5 @ 38 vs. 3 or 4 @ 39) In summary, if the ski is set up correctly, and you are on the right ski of the correct size, should work at both speeds. I might add, 36 MPH sure seemed significantly more physically demanding than 34 MPH. I was toast after sets at 36!!... Should have started skiing when I was a 10!! MWN