tips for keeping tip down

ToddF

I was watching some videos of good skiers and regardless of body position, they all seem to get the tip of the ski down and pointing cross course just before hook up. Parrish seems to have his ski tip level into and out of the turn almost always. Nate and Regina seem to pop a wheelie at times then point and go.

So my question is what tips, tricks or techniques do people do to keep the tip/ski pointed in the right direction?

• Administrators

If the issue is at the finish of off side one way to keep the tip down is to keep your free hand off the handle longer and turn with your lower body and as little as possible with your shoulders.

• Administrators
When you feel your chest is pointing down the lake and you feel your ski is going back to the wakes you got it. Different skiers go this to different degrees. I can't do the whole look down the ball line thing.

• Baller

Two things make the tip rise. Ski setup and skiing technique can be the cause in either case. One is falling back on or behind the ski exiting the ball (technique and/or not enough smear making it hard to finish the turn). The other is over-turning (technique and/or tip-bite and/or too much smear into too much angle requiring a quick wheelie to release excess tip pressure).

For me, I feel like I need to finish the turn by moving my body inbound ahead of my ski, and good ski settings are largely about making it easy to do this in one fluid motion.