Do you look down the rope to keep your head level?

cragginshred

• Baller

Today was a major break through with body position and the ongoing mission to stack better. One of the lake owners commented on my head not being level and suggested looking up a the boat guides instead of across course. It was a lot to think about so just looking down the line toward the pylon seemed to keep me open and my head level per the riders. I also noticed how my ski shot through the wake and into a nice edge change. After a few passes it became more natural almost like a gunsight. I think of this picture of Terry. What do you all think about to keep the head level?28k9v0duc5az.jpg

• Elite Skier

@cragginshred‌, it goes without saying that a leveled head is key in slalom. Your brain is set to work best when your eyes give it information that it is used to. The more leveled your head is, the faster and more precise you will be on your ski.

However, you need to look where you are going! :smile:

Try to feel your trapezoid muscles to keep your head leveled. So if you are approaching 1-3-5, feel your right trapezoid a little tighter. You can also think of having your right shoulder closer to your head. Opposite side for 2-4.

Hope it helps.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller

@cragginshred‌ - Hey, Don. I look down the rope on my pullout prior to the gate because it helps me move over my feet and accelerate outbound better. My best turns happen when I keep my head level and vision downcourse and see my ski, hips, and off hand ski back to the handle. I never purposely look down the rope after my pullout, but if I thought about it I could look down the rope on each successive cut after skiing back to the handle.

I think this is one of those person-by-person things, though. There are plenty of people that turn their head, tilt it, whatever, that stay balanced and ski fine. Turning my head and letting it lean in does not work for me. I have to stay level.

Hey you should post that TBT picture of your high school band here. I love TBT pics. That would make for a great thread - TBT skiing or otherwise photos.

• Baller

@jimbrake Good to know! Right now I needed one more thing to refine my balanced leverage position over the ski and this seems to be it. Finding the boat guides is way too much to process I will keep working on this for now!

Okie dokie on the photo,...it was pretty classic.