Year End Wrap Up - your year

Horton

• Administrators

I mean to write a year end wrap up but have not done it so tell me about your year

How was your year?

What did you learn?

What happened?

• Baller
Last summer was a good year for me. Decided to try and qualify for nationals and go for the first time. I skied well enough to be level 8 and ran 0.5 at 38 off in regionals to take 2nd place. Went to my first nationals and had a blast. Got my average over 100 bouys. Bought a new mapple T1 and am eagerly awaiting next season.

• Baller
@skier2788‌ that's a very good year ! For my skiing there was the usual late start due to our kid's schedules. After a few weeks, about 8 sets, I was feeling very good on the water until I aggravated a nagging hip/sacrum injury and had to sit out for four weeks. Got back on the water in August and by mid September was feeling good again. These past two weekends were solid for me - straight through my first four passes, and able to focus on three keys for me - balanced, handle low and free hand towards back pocket in the turns. One of my ski buds is continuing to improve, consistently getting into deep -35 at 72 yrs old. In other news our youngest son went off to college, I sold the 92 MC, and our youngest daughter is learning to drive a car. Last month I was let go from my job after 18+ successful years - so one door closes and another opens. All in all a very good year.

• Baller

Hit Bennetts ski school with a bunch of friends in March where I was called crazy for being able to take 18 sets of slalom in the 5 days despite my spray leg ripping open half way through day 3

Didn't get to see a course again until late April at the Iowa State University Spring Tournament where I missed my opener

The course here at school didn't go in the water until June due to water level restrictions but thank goodness I went back to MN May 16th to start ripping it.

Once I was back in business I dropped 15 off after 3 sets, started opening at 22 on my first set and 28 on my second set. To prove I could I opened at 32 (shortest pass I have completed this far) once. Upped my practice best to 3.5 @ -35 from 1.5.

For consistency, I was running more -32 passes per week than in any previous season and was earning a look at -35 straight up the line close to 70% of the time. (Didn't quite get it done in tournament however)

Tournament skiing I had a fun collegiate run, won gold in slalom at conference, managed to trick 80 short of my tournament best and off of 11 jumps total all season managed a 1 ft pb with a 70ft boot.

More importantly I went through a lot of cheap drinks with a lot of priceless friends. Team Midwest!

• Baller_

I joined another ski club closer to my house and stayed in the old club, too. I increased my time on the water from 1-2 days per week to 3-4 days per week. Some weeks I skied 3 days in a row and even did 4 in a row once, none of which ever happened before. So, I met the goal this year of increasing my water time significantly.

I did not make the headway on 32 off that I planned this year and only got a few peeks at it. To be fair, I spent a lot of time at 22 off early in the season to work out some consistency issues. In fact, I only put the rope on green 10 times this year (even when running the 28s back to back) and 3 of those times were in tournaments.

I received some good video coaching here on BOS for my 28 off pass and had corrected some key things as a result. Near the end of the season, the consistency on that pass was good. I ran several of them the way I always wanted to: early, easy, and smooth. I ran many of them back to the dock (after missing them for the score) in the 9 tournaments I entered. More work needed in that tournament setting, apparently.

A very painful elbow really affected the last two months of the season, so I will rest that, try some supplements, and rehab it over the winter. I am very optimistic about next season and will give 32 some more attention then.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Slow start with late ice out and high water, but the season has been terrific. After skiing this morning my totals are 251 passes at 28, 824 passes at 32, 419 passes at 35, and 64 passes at 38 (ran another this morning in the drysuit). It is that last part that made the season for me. My previous best in a season I'm sure was less than 20 successful 38s, with a percentage probably around 25%. This year percentage was 40% overall, but over 60% in the prime of the season. This warmer than normal fall has given me a bonus. Usually I'm done skiing shortline at the end of September. I'm still taking shots down the line and it is October 20th. Life is soooo Good. The only disappointment for me was that (a) I could hardly get to any tournaments and (b) when I did, I didn't run my 38. First tournament was behind a 2012 Mastercraft with 100lbs of weight in the front and a 90lb dumbbell in the back. The wake was a rock, and I think that held me back. Second tournament I'd been on my new ski for three sets and, while -35 felt awesome, I just didn't have it at -38 yet. Now the T2 is feeling better at shortline and I am confident about net year.

• Baller

Worst summer in many years due to drought. One skiable public lake was closed down by mid-June and the other local lake is horrible for skiing 99.999% of the time. Took the ski on several trips to the lake and ended up pulling the kids on tubes due to sucky water conditions.

I started the year off on fire skiing all the way back up to 36mph and was starting to cut the line again. I took a massive fall and took a ski to my face. Took 6 weeks to get healthy again and skied 4@22 off yesterday. It's been a pretty good season comming back

• Baller

Best slalom summer ever, for sure.

Started in February with a couple of sets in Orlando with Brooks Wilson. Even in my first set of the year I was completing -15 at 34mph, not bad for Feb. Really focused on stuff happening from the wake to the turn, keeping shoulders and hips and arms in sync out to the buoy line.

Once spring arrived there was lots of skiing. Easily 3-6 sets per week which is incredible for a full-time job working schmo. Sometime early in the season I posted here about dropping 15 and 22 and focusing on 28 only at all speeds. 28 taught me quite a bit and substantially helped my -22 pass. That post/thread is full of incredible advice.

About halfway through the season I started opening with 32mph/-22 and bumping to 34/22 for a few passes and getting some cracks at 28. I ran one full -28 and a bunch of very deep -28s throughout the summer. This was an impossible pass last year.

Had another set with Brooks at a local clinic in late July, got to 5 ball at 28 during that set.

For the 5th year in a row, took the whole family to the Malibu Open and we had a blast as usual. It's an event we look forward to every year.

Club boat sold early so I broke out my trusty ol' 2000 SN as a stand-in and added Z-box. We put an additional 38 hours on that boat in September, pulling over 50 sets. Boat skied great and saved our fall season. I love that boat.

Went to a tourney in mid-Sept to cap off the season's efforts and ended up with 3@-28 in my first tourney as an M3, meaning I completed -22/34 under pressure, in a huge tailwind, in 40F temps. I was very happy with that. Also ran my full 500pts on trick.

What did I learn? Hard to tell sometimes. Water time is certainly very important. I did not and have not used the -15 loop since May but spent a good deal of time on orange. 34/22 is now a 75%+ pass, it's never been easier. Really trying to focus on direction and transition post-wake on both sides as that is what is still killing me at -28 where I end up fast, narrow, and slack-y. If I make it deep my lower back pays the price for the journey at 28, it's anything but smooth and easy.

Here's a somewhat recent -22/34 to showcase the season's progress, or lack there of, depending on how you look at it. My season is still not over as I'll be down at Bennetts, then in Miami/Ft Lauderdale before I hang it up.

• Baller

Late start because of weather

Windy and wet trip to Texas (poor scheduling, but great graduation)

Started to run consistent 22 offs

Entered my first tournament

Started to get 3-4 balls at 28 regularly with 5 days before the tournament

Emergency room, surgeries, doctors, rehab and more rehab (don't get hurt)

Skier again in Sept, maybe to soon (bad time)

Picked up a nice pink strada (pink can be good)

Oct got back into the course and ran a few passes at 34@15off (thanks to my wife for pushing me)

Polar Bear Ski in Dec

Look out 2015

Larry -----<|

Still haven't gotten onto a course or even skied behind an inboard, but I did get to ski almost every week this summer, which is a ton for me. My wife and I planned to buy a newish RLXi with her dad, instead of going on a honeymoon, but he backed out.

Things that happened - skied in the rain, circumnavigated Lake Elsinore skiing moderately hard, taught a friend visiting from Germany to ski, and had about a dozen less OTF's behind jet powered wakeboardish boats vs last year. Didn't quite achieve a regional ranking this year, but I still had fun.

• Baller

No ski injuries always makes it a plus year. Got my course in by 3rd week in June a week before first tournament, which is better than last yr, one week after first tourney.

Got to four 3 round Class Cs and Regionals, managed to run 35 at least one round in 3 of the 4 Class Cs, missed 32 at Regionals. Last tourney made my season, ran 35 all 3 rounds and came within a half buoy of my PB, 4@ 38. Great way to finish up. Got my last free ski in 10/12 and it snowed on and off all day yesterday, one week later. Time for the next H2O skiing season, in a slightly different form of H2O.

• Baller

It was a really really fun summer for me.

I taught my best friend how to ski and by the end of the summer he was confident on a slalom ski. I went from running 22 off to 28 off - meeting my summer goal of 28 off @ 31MPH.

I bought a used trick ski and realized how much fun that really is. So I will probably kill a lot of time next summer out of the course on the trick ski. Surprised more people don't trick, it seams like it is an almost dead sport outside of the hard core 3-Evert community.

I am now really excited for January where I am going to Orlando to spend 5 days skiing with coaches. This will be my first time skiing in front of a real coach and I couldn't be more excited.

Goals for next year:

Run 15 off at 36 MPH.

Goals for next few years:

Run 22 off consistently at 36 MPH and start entering tournaments. I told myself I would buy a new ski and bindings once I run a pass at 22@36.

• Baller

Increase practice PB from 3@-35 to 1/2 @-38. My -32s became far more consistent

My two older boys (7 and 6) made huge strides skiing and wakeboarding. The 6 year old was on his bare feet for a few seconds.

My wife started skiing the course and took great steps in her barefooting. She has also taught a few of the young girls around the lake to barefoot.

We had 10 new course skiers in our course this year ranging from age 7 to mid 50s. We have a very small ski club on our lake, but it looks to be growing :)

No one tubed behind my boat!!

• Baller

Good year in terms of...

a) upgraded from a '82 2001, to a '07 196 with ZO...Oh YEAH!

b) Finally ran 38...2@39 in tourny and a handfull of practice 38's

c) Skied with Schnitz, Chet, and the GOAT...and even one set with Lucky watching and Lyman driving

d) Regionals was here

e) Nationals was fun trip....never been to Austin, and the creek party was cool.

f) Longest ski season in a LONG time...April till October

g) My double-fused neck held up ok.

Not so good in terms of...

a) Spent ALOT of $$$

b) Did not ski very well at Regs or Nats (felt fine, I just scrwed up)

c) Tendonitis has flared up

• Baller

I was away from the skiing for about 25 years but bought a boat with my brother last fall, so this was my first summer with the boat. It has been so much fun for my family and it has been great to spend time with my brother doing something we both really enjoyed in our younger years. My brother is the natural athlete in the family, so he picked it back up like he'd never left. It took me a few months, watching a bunch of videos and working on Gordon Rathbun's 12 drills, but I started improving dramatically by mid summer and am now looking forward to getting into a course next season.

I am planning on doing some boat upgrades before next season, including a new CNC prop and adding Perfect Pass. I then hope to buy an EZ-slalom portable course once I confirm that I won't get ticketed for it on the public lake we use. I'm sinking a lot more money and time into this sport than I was planning on, but I am just getting sucked back into it and really enjoying it.

• Baller

1- before this season I ran 32 off 2 times in my life. This year I finally got it down regularly

2- won state which was also a first

3- got 4th place at regionals which was a complete shock to me and the first time I have made the podium.

4- didnt do so good in collegiate and missed my opener at nationals for the second year in a row... but I did crack into 32 one tournament, then again I got 5.5 @28 at another...

Next year goals-

1- Get the school slalom record

2- podium at summer regionals and get top 2 at collegiate midwest regionals

3- run 35 (practice is acceptable)

4- get used to Zbox so that I can ski more consistently in tournaments

• Baller

Free skied 3 times, got into course 3 times before 2 level fusion in my neck which I knew was coming...was just waiting on the surgeon's schedule. Missed no 35's, took one shot at 38 which was good for 3 balls. Surgery was June 5.

Flew to skiwatch fall double where I drove (not tourney), boat judged, tower judged, cooked ribs, made ice runs, made gas runs, cheered on my bro and others, and kicked back a few drinks with friends.

Learned I miss skiing a lot and took it for granted. Next year hope to re-expand my water time to include screwing around on tricks, jumpers and my bare feet in addition to hoping I still have shorter lines in my personal slalom tank. I may go back to volunteer coaching at a ski camp as well.

• Baller_

Well, no injuries..good. Did not get worse as I get older...good. I'd stop there and call it a great season but was a better year then expected.

Ran first tourny 38 and made 1.5@39

Did not miss a 35 in a tournament all season. That's only happened once before.

Deep 38s at each.

Took forth place at Malibu ProAm

Went to the Masters and skied several passes on Robin Lake (@Jody_Seal‌ behind the wheel)

Much higher percentage of practice 38s

Skied with Andy and tested both his skis

Daughter set a tournament PB

And topped it off with highest rankings and average score in the USA WS books for me...ever

Edit: I learned that safe turning four ball at 38 off because "you got this" is a massive mistake.... and I did that twice this year dang it.

• Baller

How was your year?

Super awesome. Best ever, actually. Right up until June 30.

What did you learn?

Don't over tighten the top elastic on Strada bindings. Go nuts on the bottom one = as tight as you want. Run the top one loose.

What happened?

Crash at four-ball, avulsion fracture of the left lateral malleolus. Skiing season over. Running season over.

But, all is not lost. Recovery is going well and cross country skiing will be here before you know it. And I'll be back in the mix on the lake next summer big time. With a loose top elastic :)

Bought our first boat and re-ingnited my love of skiing. Found a family activity that we all really enjoy and keeps us in the same place doing the same thing. Pretty good thing in this age. Was invited to ski on a private ski lake, Villa Lagos, by SkiRv and had a blast and realized how much work I have to do. Will be joining said ski lake next spring because I love this stuff. Took my kids to watch my first Pro tournament in years, the California Pro AM. And last but not least was able to find on the World Wide Web, BOS.

• Baller

This year has been good for me. After a two year long slump after an ankle injury I realised that I needed to just start skiing for fun again and stop worrying so much about scores. I didn't ski as many tournaments as I usually do, but I improved immensely. In 2013 I had only run -28 at 36 mph once EVER. This year, with very little coaching other than what I was able to figure out on my own, I was crushing -32 by the end of the year, and bumped my practice pb up to 4@35. I thought I was going to run it by the end of the year but ended up hanging up the ski early because of school.

The biggest thing I learned is why I ski. I used to think that I did it because of my competitive nature and I was always pushing myself to do the impossible. After much frustration I remembered what got me into this sport... It's just fun as hell!!!

• Baller
Had a great year. We bought our 1st inboad and skied more than I ever have. Relearned how to get up on one ski again after having both hips replaced. Met Brooks Wilson and bought a new ski from him. My wife became a great and patient driver. Looking forward to next season. Planning on setting up a week at the Boarding School.