Zack Worden Wins US Open Jump Title

klindy

HUGE congrats to Zack Worden for the win in jump at the US Open. He was first off the dock and set a mark the was tied by Jimmy Siemers but couldn't be topped by some of the worlds best jumpers. He tied Jimmy (even the metric distance) which forced a two jump run-off. Jimmy went first and posted a 197' and after a disappointing jump #1 Zack popped off a 202' jump for the win.

Zack is a home town Orlando boy who worked hard to put this tournament on. After a tough year, this is a big top step podium finish for him!! Congrats Zack!!

• Baller_
How is it the top 3 guys did so poorly? Far below the norm and every one of their jumps from our perspective looked as though the ramp was to slick and the skis shot out in front of them and they never got on the balls of their feet. It was really weird to see that from those 3 guys. Nice to see others get the spot light though.

@Wish what was real interesting is that the "way back on their heels" jumps started after they had to put Bojan back on the dock after something happened to the ramp. We couldn't tell what was happening on the webcast other than they were working on the ramp.

• Baller
@klindy‌ that was exactly what I was think also. Looked like one brief shot looked like the ramp was out of location. Maybe one of the anchor lines came loose. As I was watching it also looked like the sun may have been a factor also. The delay with the ramp may have increased the sun problem.

• Baller_
@klindy‌ back on their heals is kinda what I meant but not a jumper so my terminology sucks. But yes, all went south after the ramp cut loose and was repositioned. No way to really tell if they got it back to where it was. I know they were busting their butts to get it put back. But the top 3 guys looked exactly the same. There was a lot of comparing notes among them and other jumpers on shore when they came in off their set. We were about 25 feet away from starting dock, could not hear them but LOTs of talk with equal amounts of hand motions to go along with the conversation. Something was up. But, we had to leave before run off. How far did Zack and Jimmy fly? Were they affected? FWIW the ramp was a full quarter turn out of alignment. The top of the ramp was facing shore.

Jonny went first and his first pass was like a 168' or something. It looked just like the top three seeds. Then he managed a bit better jump of 197. Zack also had a 180 or so jump also on his heels for jump #1 he put together a better one for a 20 winner. Remember for a run off they only get two jumps. It was pretty clear they both need to make adjustments after the first attempt.

• Baller
@Wish‌ Jimmy went first and went mid 190 ?? On second jump. Zack went low 200 ?? Also on second jump (only two jumps in run off) During the delay, I was kind of in and out but I never heard on the webcast exactly what the problem was. It did look like the ramp was cut loose before bojan jumped, everything after that was not good.

• Baller_
We we sitting at an angle to the jump where you could see the guys turn their skis and drive straight at us. Ryan looked so on and had so much speed into the bottom of the ramp that it just looked text book every time and there was just no way he was gonna go short. And everytime he came off the top way back on his heels. Very telling. The only ones to really know the differance would be Zack and Jimmy. Felt bad for Travers and his crew who worked so hard at getting it back it back in place.