Tournament rule alteration opinions.

addkerr

• Baller

Hi Ballers,

Over on this side of the pond, our federation is currently discussing new possible changes to the way our tournament results are compared, and would honestly like to here some opinions on the proposed changes from skiers that it does not effect.

A bit of background. The British tournament scene I believe is pretty unique in that we have developed a League and standings. All skiers are entered in the standings no matter what age or score or speed, and compared on there best score from the season. This goes for the women's standing and a men's standing. As different age categories ski at different speed, a handicap is in place. 6 Buoys separate each speed. This means 36mph 15off is equal to 34mph 22off, and 32mph 28off.

rn3nmyqqxh1r.png

This handicap is also in the league. The league works in that there a five divisions. They run through div 4, 3, 2, 1 and prem.

Women's run similarly through 3,2,1 and prem. These divisions carry a qualification score that an individual must get to place in a division. To place in the division an skier must have 4 scores from 2 separate tournaments. These scores are then averaged to create and average buoy count.

2z9qoplhumey.png

The proposed changes:

The proposed changes ahead will see that the handicap be completely lifted. This would mean a score of 3@35off 36mph would also be equal to 3@35off 34mph, and also 3@35off 32mph.

A second discussed change is the collaboration of the womens and mens standings and league. This would combine all competitors, and give women a handicap that has not been decided to place them alongside the men.

These are the main issues up for debate at present. My personal view is that none of the speeds are really comparable and 36mph should be placed against 36 and 34mph should be placed against 34. I also believe that rather than a league an age category should be put in place to pit the skiers of a same age together. But as previous stated I would like to here opinions from a skiers point of view that it does not concern.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks addkerr

• Baller

Wow, interesting system to start with.

I don't see a huge issue with the current model although a little age divide between the kids and the adults maybe since I think the 36 yr old at 34 mph likely takes an advantage over a 14 yr old at 34 mph. Overall I kind of like the system though.

I don't like pitting women against me, especially since many women may not like the idea of being handicapped to men. On the speeds that just seems wrong as a guy who has run -35@34 but only 3.5@-35 at 36mph.

Long story short is I think it's a great system as is but the modifications seem a step too far to me.

Mitch

• Administrators

With every system someone gets a bad deal and someone gets an advantage. The trick is to set it up so the most skiers think it is fun. What you are doing makes sense to me.

My only question is about skiers who are near the top of their group. Do you see these skiers making a point to NOT ski into the bottom of the next group?

• Baller
I like the idea... with the exception of lifting the handicap. It is a hard subject with no clear answer but I think there needs to be something for the 36 mph guys. I don't get overly excited about skiing against skiers at -35@34 while I am skiing -35@36. It isn't the same pass. Can a 36 mph guy step down to 34mph?

• Baller
Our state format over here is fun, we get to ski against people of similar ability, young, old, men women and children. Horton was right in what he says, you can tank a bit and stay down and win or push up into the top division and never win. In theory that is.

• Baller

Hi. Horton you make a good point about skiers NOT skiing to the best of their ability. Fortunately I have only ever come across the theory as every skier I have spoken to at comps always wants to do more (even when they've just had a pb!). As Addkerr has said, in the UK you have to obtain a certain score to qualify or remain in a division. There are a number of skiers whose ability only allows them to just qualify for a division - and believe me, no way do they not want to qualify. I can't wait to try and get into Men's Div 1 next year (you need 3@32/36mph or 3@35/34mph). I can't speak or everyone but I'd rather be at the bottom of Div 1 than nearish the top of Div 2.

Cheers,

Chris

• Baller

@horton Unfortunately there are the odd few that sandbag but its not really an issue as there are always people winning divisions and moving up. I personally like the system. Every time I have qualified for the next division its been a fantastic achievement, and I think everyone is the same boat, no pun intended :). I personally ski for a score and not too bothered about placement in the division. Which ever way, I'm glad to have your opinions from been sat on the fence. The forum is in a couple of weeks to discuss so I can report back then.

@skier2788 nope age cats are the same, and speeds are the same as iwsf rules.

• Baller
Sounds like Nastar (snow skiing) everyone gets handicapped based on sex and age to theoretically provide an even categorization. You get sandbaggers in any sport where you can do it - if somehow that makes them feel good about themselves then there isn't much you can do about it. At least at the Nationals there is a bump up rule that kicks folks up a division or 2 if they are greatly exceeding the division that they have earned during the season.