Goode Ski Choice

AndersonSkiTeam

• Baller

So I am looking for a new ski. I am currently on a 2011 Strada with Strada double bindings. I am 6' 195lbs and am working my way through 28 off at 34 mph. I generally like this ski but have had a hard time being consistent on my off side (LFF). Onside is magic every time. I know doing demos of different skis is the way to go but not really an option for me. There appear to be lots of great skis out right now and has me really wondering what ski to go with. The things I really need to work on right now are letting the ski finish the turn and hooking up with a decent stack (Pretty common for people at my level of skiing).

I have read all the reviews and threads on the Goode Nano One and Nano XT. The reviews for the N1 seemed great but not quite the same love for the XT. I seem to get that the XT is faster and easier for work behind the boat but turns not quite as consistent as the N1. Is the XT better or for those with some experience on both any sense if one ski would be better than the other for my level of skiing.

Also, I am not much of a ski tuner. I typically take stock settings and ride them forever. Do these skis need much fine tuning or will stock work good with me at my level. I have always wanted to learn to do this but am fearful I will end up with a fin out an inch when .001 is supposedly noticeable.

Lastly, just to throw a wrench in the discussion, is the Vapor really that much better than the Strada.

Thanks in advance.

• Baller

Much like @scotchipman‌ I was on a Nano One and I needed to find something that was a little less work for me. It turns great, but not in sync with my style. The Nano ONE XT did the trick, and I can say I have been Rico-ed a few times at 38 in tournaments this past summer!

I wouldn't be afraid to recommend a 66.75" XT to you. I am 185 lbs and 6'3" and the longer ski has really worked for me and made it feel easier. I had the best season ever running into 39 a ton in practice and almost getting there in tournaments this fall.

You would have to decide if you wanted a XTM or the XT. Depending on your goals............

• Baller
@AndersonSkiTeam‌ how far apart are your double strada bindings? I was on a strada. Now on a vapor. Moving my bindings as close together as possible fixed my offside right away. Some of my harder passes I find #4 is my best turn. And the Vapor is awesome. Stable. Fast. And turns so smooth. Good luck deciding.

• Baller
You should adjust your fin on your current ski first. Stock settings are just stock. Some like chocolate some vanilla. You may be surprised. This may start much debate but try increasing the length of the fin. It may work and that ski may rock for you.

• Baller
@Andersonskiteam. I am 6 1 195 run occasionally 28 off at 34 and have done it back to back this last summer 3 times on my 70 CoX. My first set on a wide ride was eye opening how much easier it was on my body. Even at 126AMP and 64in the wide ride was much easier than the 70 CoX I was on. The third set I ran back to back 28's at 34. I have so much more time at the buoy. I ran a few sets on a 65 166 Mid which was faster and turned similarly, but my elbows started yelling at me. I ordered the XTW. I want to ski many years to come, get 32 off next year. The extra $$ is well worth it in my opinion. I encourage you get a notched caliper and learn to tune your ski...it's a pretty cool experience when you begin to feel what the ski does differently. Like you though, I usually land on factory settings. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Baller

Thanks guys. I watched Rossi's ski tuning clip last night to start to learn how. As I watched him whack the fin with his wooden dowel I realized this may not be quite as hard as I thought (except the time to do it). Now to go buy some calipers.

Interesting to hear about the wide and mid rides. Something else to add to my list. I am currently fairly strong but not in great shape. I am working hard to try to get in good shape for next spring and work my way through the course. At 40 I figure my years are limited to really improve and might as well go for it now.

• Baller
I'm 45 and train to keep skiing. I've been 195 since Sr. in high school whether running over linebackers on the grid iron or up and down the court. The 66 XTW is rated down to 180 whereas the 64 XTW is up to 195. Never thought I'd pay that much for a ski, but now very grateful its available.