How much does the back of the boat move?

Horton

• Administrators

If you have ever laid down in the back of a slalom boat when someone is skiing you know it moves more than expected. Does anyone know how much it really moves?

I am assuming short line slalom, a good driver and the pylon not moving out of tolerance.

@jdarwin‌ @Jody_Seal‌ @Roger‌ @WhoEverElseWouldKnow

• Baller

The movement of the back of the boat varies. Different boats require more (or less) input than others for the same skier/rope length. Also, different boats react differently with some pivoting around the pylon more and some rocking side to side more. The pylon is allowed a 22cm [8.66 inches] variation (11 cm [4.33 inches] either side). Even so, to pass for a record, there is a cumulative total that cannot be exceeded. A couple of years ago, I pulled Karina to 1@41. She had a rather poor start at 1 ball at 39 and hooked two ball. I took the end course video home as I always do and the back of the (Mastercraft in this case) was moving quite a bit, but the pylon remained in tolerance (though it certainly did move at two ball). If I did the same pull with her using the current Mastercraft, the tail of the boat would not move as much because the new boat (when set up correctly) simply requires less input than the old one did. All the current boats I drove this year are pretty good from a tracking point of view, but they don't all drive the same. If you are serious about becoming a good driver, drive every boat and every skier you can.

Some drivers are afraid to move the wheel and if they're hit by a big puller, they are moved out of tolerance while other drivers tend to over control some boats which while the pylon may stay within tolerance, probably doesn't feel so great to the skier. The hardest task to learn as a driver is how much to move the wheel, when to move it, and just as important, how and when to release the skier. The top drivers have this part of the equation under control so the pull feels good to the skier and the pylon remains within acceptable tolerance.

• Baller

http://youtu.be/fxYu_ifbef0

Here is an end course video of 41 driven by will bush. The load is probably a lot more at this pass translating to the back of the boat moving more then say a 32off pass! But kind of cool to see how the tail of the boat moves side to side, but the pylon remains in the middle!