Any Ballers near Draper, UT that could check out a boat?

6balls

• Baller

@brady thanks. He won't bite if there has been water damage. I had warned him price was low enough on a 206 there may be issues or, if it was on craigslist at that price, a scam.

I will check with him and if still interested get in touch with you.

• Baller
@6balls, Okay, have him call me if he would like. I pmed you my cell. It was owned by a guy who towed it behind his houseboat at lake powell without the front bimini on and sunk it while towing it. I think it was about 15 feet under for a few days. Croft is an excellent shop and they are extremely honest--i won't take my boat anywhere else. It is a bit of a crap shoot when water is involved, because you may not notice something for a year or so later. I have been talking with them about it because I know if I buy it, they will take care of me if issues arrive. I would worry about someone out of state buying it however. (although, I am sure they would rather sell it out of state!) @scotchipman would be very happy if someone buys it other than me, because my wake is cherry and he is a prima donna about what he skis behind.

• Baller
I had a 72 Dyne IO that filled with water during a storm at a friends party while tied to his dock in 1980. Only thing above water was the windshield. I raised it up on his lift, drained the water, towed the boat to the landing, and put it on the trailer. At home I drained the oil from the engine and lower unit, drained the gas, removed the spark plugs, then turned it over to get the water out of the cylinders. Water spray everywhere! Repeated that many times. Let it dry out for about two weeks then replaced plugs, oil and fuel and ran it. Drained everything again, replaced the fluids and ran it. I owned that boat another 20 years. Everything worked including the electronics. Never had any other problems. I am having a had time understanding how that 206 sank to 15 feet with all the present floatation requirements though? Point is it is not the end of the world to sink a boat if it was not running at the time.

• Baller
@thager boats have a bit more electronics now than they did in 72. I am sure there are boats that are completely fine, however, like I said before, it is a crap shoot. Could be perfect, could be a disaster. This boat was in the water for a considerable time, and the windshield was completely destroyed and had to be replaced. Also, when I sat in it and tried to turn on the stereo, it shorted out, but I was able to eject a corroded CD that was left in it. I am still toying with the idea of purchasing it, because I am 10 minutes away from the shop, however, it would be more of a risk if I was out of state. I wish their was an open-bow version of the carbon pro, because I could spend 20K more and have a brand new boat!!!!

• Baller
@Brady Agree, todays boats have more electronics but mine had every gauge the 206 has except for speed control. My stereo and speakers worked fine and never had to be replaced. Having said that I have also dropped my "stupid" smart phone into the lake and dried it out more than once. Works fine. Those instruments in that 206 are mostly analog and/or are pretty easy to replace. Doubt the senders were affected. ZO might have to replace the head. ZO Cables are repairable if corroded. No wood in that boat is another plus. Might have to pressurize the foam flotation to get most of the water out but is doable. I would not buy it however if I were not DIY and had to depend on a dealership. Better be a darned good price too!

• Baller

@swc5150 wishful thinking, eh? No 206 for me, would be looking for a "swamp" boat and no need for open bow there...196 or CP. At my home public is lake my Dad's former Centurion Falcon Barefoot and I can't separate for emotional reasons. Public lake is mostly kids kneeboarding, tubing, wakeboarding, cruising with drink, barefooting, and driving balls to the wall...so it does the trick and fits lots of people. Looks cool as hell, too, and in amazing shape.

Still tempted on occasion for an inboard as there is a course on the lake and I'd probably get at least one more course shot per week at home...but priority would be "swamp" ZO. If I do pull the trigger you have first dibs on the current 196...it's in super condition. Gets covered when not in use even though it's under a covered lift in summer (double covered) and so high under the canopy cover you can only see the hull. Winter's are in a heated hangar. Most likely I keep her another season as son turns 16 in spring and will have used vehicle cost and new insured.