Broken Reflex Boot Rivet

DefectiveDave

• Baller

Has anyone else had this problem? I managed to pop the mandrel head off of one of the rivets attaching the block to the rear of the boot during a nasty fall (see below).

31wmxnrr1mgi.jpg

There was nothing special about the fall itself, just an kinda lame OTF crossing the waves after a some bad slack at 3 ball (34 mph/ 22 off). However, there was a significant delay in the release activation. This is despite the fact that the spring tension on my 750 silvretta is set to about 3 given some previous issues with the release.

• Baller

Re rivet it or just get a stainless screw and nyloc nut. Stainless tee nuts should work but the ones I use have spikes which are a bit of a pain to remove (not really, just bend them back and the spikes break off. The hard part is finding the quality vise grips not the loose rusty old ones). Occasionally check the screw torque into a tee nut as there is no locking and they can loosen. Definitely don't lose a day of skiing waiting for the "right" fastener for that application. A stainless screw might be stronger than the plastic and is less apt to corrode away like your aluminum rivet.

Note that it is possible to fine tune the release with modifications to the block. I don't know whether to warn you about the critical nature of proper block settings or encourage you to play with homemade blocks for your settings.

Eric

• Baller

Thanks guys! I looked around at lowes and found some t-nuts, but 1/4" was the smallest and I would have had to redrill the hole.

I instead ordered 5/32" x 0.8" aluminum rivets from fastenal which will arrive Thursday. These are very close to the 4mmx20mm rivets Reflex spec'ed for the location I called out earlier. Crossing my fingers.