First Post--New Ski Advice

Lovell

• Baller

I joined this forum about two months ago. This is my first post. The forum is awesome and it has motivated me to get back into the sport. I grew up skiing on the Sacto River in N CA. I did not get into the course until college and skied in college for about 2.5 seasons and got fully addicted, but then I went law school, got married, had kids, etc. Back in the day I was able to ski -22 at 36, thanks to some really good coaching and lots of practice. Way back then, my practice PB was a couple at -28. Fortunately, I will never have to ski at 36 mph ever again. In Oct and Nov, motivated by reading the forum, I was able to ski the course a few times for the first time in more than 15 years and was able to ski through -15 at 32 mph without much problem, but didn't push it as I was just trying to get my timing back. I am skiing on an ancient 20 year old 69" Kidder(when I last skied seriously I was 240 lbs). As a loyal Mellos customer growing up I had a series of Kidders. I also skied for a month or two on an EP Stilletto, but always found my way back to the Kidders.

I am 6' and fluctuate between 190 and 195. I have been looking at the Radar Senate and the D3 Skis, given the Kidder background. I am thinking 67" is right size. I would appreciate any ski selection advice you guys can provide.

Thank you very much.

• Baller
As for size, you may be on the line between 67 or 68, depending upon the ski. Just check the manufacturer's web page for any potential ski to see their recommendations for ski size. Also, note that the newer skis vary in width more than the 90's generation of skis. So, with a wider ski, you can ski a shorter length.

• Baller

Also, most people will say, try before you buy. Every ski model is different and every ski's flex is slightly different within the same make/model.

If you are going to buy new, then it is definitely worth it to demo. Most manufacturers and some major retailers will have a "demo" program. For example, D3 will let you "buy" 2 skis, try them out, then send them back and just pay a fee. They also offer great support via phone and email during the trial period to ensure that you setup the ski correctly and give it a fair assessment.

If you are going to buy used, do some marking pricing to see what they are selling for (not just what the asking prices are). If you can get a used ski for a good deal but later determine that it isn't a match for you, then you can just resale it. You may lose shipping costs and a little cash depending upon how long you hold on to it. But you can think of that as like a demo fee.

Finally, the top 1-3 models from any major ski manufacturer out there will be an excellently made ski. I haven't seen @Horton ever review a current model ski and say it could not perform well.

Sometimes, the top of the line models are very responsive and may not be the best fit for a developing skier who isn't "quiet" or smooth & confident in their technique. Ski manufacturers often have a 2nd or 3rd tier slalom which has been made to be a little softer or smoother or more stable ski than their top model. These can be good skis as a stepping stone back to the top.

I've recently skied on top models for Connelly, Radar, HO, and D3. At the time of demo-ing them, I was able to match or come within 1 buoy of my personal best (PB). Each one rode a little differently. I just picked the one that I felt most confident on. I haven't skied on current models of Goode, Mapple, Obrien, Jobe, etc. Still, those are also great skis.