Needing a challenge, going to try the course next year

gt2003

• Baller
I didn't see an "introduce yourself" section so here it goes. I'm back on slalom after a 20 plus year hiatus (45 yrs old). I bought a boat (Tahoe Q6 w/4.3 L MPI) and a blem Obrien Synchro this year. Grew a little more brave with each ski session. I've never ski'd the course but there is supposedly one on the lake I ski (Lake Tenkiller - Oklahoma). Since I'm always looking for the next challenge and the next thing to occupy my mind, THE COURSE IS IT! I'm looking forward to spending the winter months reading, absorbing and getting ready for next season. Get ready, I'm gonna ask questions!

• Baller

My seasonal neighbors spend part of summer here in MN but live on Lake Tenkiller. They often say that I should come down and ski endlessly there but have never mentioned a course and don't have a boat behind which I could run shorter lines.

If there is a course...go for it. It's a wicked addiction and once you think you are good, regardless of skill level...shorten that rope and it will humble you once more.

Stock your boat with a scissors, zip strips and a couple of buoys...the owners will like it a lot more if you participate in maintenance and also if you show up to ski it's a bummer if there are buoys missing...so if you have some you can replace 'em and ski.

Welcome to BOS!

• Baller
Thanks 6balls. I'll take that advice and stock up on supplies for the boat. Tenkiller is a beautiful lake. Just have to track down the course early next year. You are more than welcome to ski behind my boat but it's definitely not a competition boat. I'll post the course when I find it...in a few months!

• Baller
At least I have a few months to do some research! I remember skiing behind my college roommates older Nautique ('79 model I think)! I weighed 190 lbs in college and had NEVER been pulled out of the water that quickly! I can only imagine what one will do now days! Hmm, this could get EXPENSIVE but that's what addictions are for, right?

• Baller

Ha ha ha!!! I love every post on here so far. I remember my first time running the course in probably about 2007 or 2008. I remember thinking to myself "oh, so that is what I've been training for during the last 15 years of my life!"

Let's put it this way, from 2002 to 2008, I had been doing increasingly more wakeboarding and wakeskating and increasingly less skiing. I was frankly just kind of bored with skiing. Ever since I first discovered the course, that trend has completely reversed to the point where this summer I only had my feet on a wakeboard or wakeskate 5 times or so.

Now I try to get as many waterskiers as I can out to the course. It is so fun to watch them suddenly "get it" and become addicted. Even my dad found a new love for waterskiing this summer and he is 69 years old.

I am very excited for you to give this a try and I can't wait to hear you report back.

• Baller

Entitled: Oops, body position...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/gt2003/oopsbodyposition_zps11686ea4.jpg

This is why I want to ski the course. Last run of the year, cold water, fat/tired and most likely a little hungover skier, POOR BODY POSITION, handle popped out shortly thereafter. Noticed at 45 that my testicular fortitude wasn't what it was 25 years ago. The memories of flipping across the top of the water were a little intimidating now days. Amazingly, after I was able to get up a few times, cross the wake back and forth, cut a little bit then a little bit harder, my confidence rose and I had a small rise in my testicular fortitude. The challenge of the course next year will lead to a winters long study of the sport, proper form, more disciplined food intake, continued exercise etc. The renewed vigor will be unleashed on the course once the water is at a somewhat bearable temp. I'm quite confident, with me doing my part coupled with the knowledge of you fine folks that I'll conquer a buoy or two next year! Now contemplating to start at 0 or 15 off?? Oh, wait, my current rope can't do that anyway!