The non-standard or can't prove it or no one else cares - achivement thread

Horton

• Administrators

Things I swear are true but I can not prove.

I was the first skier I know of to ever do Wake Flip Front Half Twist Back to Front (1995 ish)

I ONCE made a WL5LB (look it up)

• Baller

Awesome. I'm impressed no matter what. You are a tricker!

I'm not sure of your nomenclature, though. Perhaps true if it's FFLF. But if you're describing BFLF, I beat you to that one (late 80s witnessed by the entire UCSD women's waterski team who provided the motivational ballast).

WL5LB is an awesome trick. Unfortunately, too strict judging killed that trick. The last step was never early enough to satisfy the judges despite looking great. Haven't seen one in decades. A shame - it is one of the coolest looking tricks.

Eric

• Baller

@Horton‌ From a flip? No. Now it's illegal to wrap and flip.

I do my regular WLO out of a WO wrap. Really messes up the judges but it scores. Fun trick though.

@Than_Bogan‌ Aside from missing the big picture, what exactly do you do? Only the NSA uses those languages. MIT, really...

Eric

• Baller
Although I'd never attempt one now at 41 years old, I could do a barefoot tumble turn in my youth. I also ran -32 @ 34mph, then -35 jack hammered me like Clubber Lang. Amazing what a difference 3' makes. I'm in awe of you -35 and beyond guys. This was just practicing of course, and not in a tournament.

• Baller

I have several unique (non-standard AND no-one-else-cares) tricks, most with photographic evidence. They are:

TBFMD - Toe Back Full Moon Deep water start

DWHBPSS - Deep Water Handle Back Paddle Start and Step-off

DWHFPPS - Deep Water Handles Front Ping-Pong Paddles Start (Still need to master the step-off)

FFSH5S - Front Foot Step-out Hang Five and Step-off (trick ski)

BFlBBW - Back Flip Behind Boston Whaler

DWOHOFS - Deep Water One Hand One Foot Start (slalom and trick)

• Baller

Wow, some very cool stuff in this thread.

@Horton / @eleeski is there video anywhere on the internet of a WL5LB? Is that like a reverse WLO with another LB at the end? And @eleeski‌ - you're handle-passing through your legs from back-to-front on that WLO from a WO wrap? Awesome.

@dchristman I've never seen the ping pong paddles start... would love to witness that one. And I managed a number of back flips behind a J-Craft (Canadian flat-bottom outboard) - no trick wake to speak of, but probably 1.5-2x bigger than a Boston Whaler trick wake. Respect!

Many years ago, out with a 'footing friend, we started playing 'how slow can you go' and (at about 170lbs) I managed to barefoot down to about 23-24mph. You can feel the water coming up between your toes.

I almost lost my job as a ski instructor at a summer camp by barefooting-while-driving-the-boat (holding on to the steering wheel and gunnel). Putting a 15 year-old camper out on the bow so he could take a photo of it probably didn't help. Now that I have an adult's understanding of insurance and liability, I'm not quite sure why I didn't get fired.

I've also done an 'unwinding' front flip barefoot start from a 25' cliff (starting with the rope through the legs, over the shoulder, unwinding like a fishing reel as you flip).

Non-achievements:

- at a scrawny 12 years of age, I was atop an unsuccessful 45mph attempt at a barefoot pyramid. The expression 'ragdoll' will forever mean something to me.

- I never managed a gainer (back flip) off the jump. I acquired several headaches attempting to do so.

- I never managed the barefoot front flip. I acquired several headaches attempting to do so.

- I never managed to master the trick-ski fall-tumbleturn-recovery, but inhaled a few gallons of lake water through my nose while attempting to do so.

• Baller

I once performed a CTTWUSAOTFABMH. I wish I had video evidence of my feat, but I am sure, I am the first to perform it on this forum.

Oh, for those not familiar with this trick it is a...

Cutting Through The Wake Unstacked And Over The Front And Break My Hip

• Baller
@andjules‌ I posted the ping pong paddle skiing a while ago in another thread somewhere here, something like 'other things you do besides slalom'. Also, you reminded me of another "achievement". I was the top of a 3-man pyramid in a ski show, except the bottom was women :smiley: (I have video of that, too).

• Baller
Ooh, @MattP my coach when I was a kid would hand-drive for tricks, pin, and catch every subtlety of my poor technique all at the same time, albeit from the driver's seat. The only thing that made him different than any of the other great trick coaches back then was that he had one glass eye. Somewhat unsettling when you're all wrapped up trying to learn a toe 7.

• Baller

@Edbrazil‌ consecutive turns in same direction? Continuous turning or stop between each turn? What was the criteria for judging the 1/2 turn? This sounds like it could be a better variation of spinning around a baseball bat and heading for a target...

It HAS to be a world record in any case :D

• Baller

Consecutive turns w/o stopping, in same direction. Was counterclockwise. Took something like

2 laps around the lake at one end.

Hmmm...maybe something for the planned "Chain of Records" coming up in March/April in

the Winter Haven area. See the attached .doc file.

• Baller

I've sent an E-mail note to one of the key organizers of the "Chain of Records". With some ideas

for events. One of which would be continuous turns on a disk, ho-ho. Best my 107.5!

Others were:

--Consecutive 360 turns on one ski. Which I witnessed on my home lake at the 1956 Easterns.

Warren Witherell has a full run of 1-ski turns, where he did about 17 or 18. That was before a

Rules limit, which probably changed shortly afterward.

--2-ski slalom 'record'. Back in the 1950's, and before Warren pretty much proved that a single

ski was superior, lots of us ran 2-ski slalom. That even continued into the 1960's. Great way

to get a bit of a warmup on your jumpers. As was Mixed Doubles. Best of my knowledge, there

are fewer people who have run the full course at longline 34mph on 2 skis than now have run

a full 41 off pass. To be equivalent to the Old Days, such a performance would have to be done

at 34mph max, and with the oldtime long endgates. Extra gate buoys would be EZ to install. Yes,

today's metric dimensions/speeds are a bit tougher, but I don't see going to the extra effort & $

to go all the way back. Although, the towline would have to have 12off, 18off, etc., just in case,

and maybe made of lighter material than today's specs., like the older lines.

Special note: Boys SL at the 1957 Nationals was won on 2 skis. Last time for the BSL event,

which was probably a bit of a 'major' event at the time, considering of the talent in Boys then.

These ideas for additional events don't require much of anything special to put on, other than

a slightly modified SL course and towline.

• Baller

I hate to admit it but I still drive/pin and spot for my son. It is a lot easier with the Robbins release I just tie some extra rope on the end and trap it under my heel. There is no way to hold him in if he falls.

When I was a kid my Dad used to drive and pin for me and he tied the release rope to the mirror so he could just slap it when I fell. I am still in one piece and frankly my knees are in better shape than the rest of me.

• Baller

One time, during a Foot run that I was using a drop ski for, I was Smacked in the right testicle with a 72" HO TNT Magnum.

It had the heavy aluminum top skin, which sent my Nut right back to the Fetal position in my abdomen.

My body too had assumed the fetal position, though I had not hit the water yet.

I couldn't find that darn thing for about 45 seconds - 1 minute. It was quite the trick and nobody cared...

• Baller_

I was the first person to slalom ski off a purpose designed wake-board tower.

Also the first person to drive a wakeboarder with a purpose designed wakeboard tower.

The first person to drive a jumper over the ramp with a purpose designed wakeboard tower (Bruce Neville).

Crap! I am partly responsible!

• Baller
@Bookm_dano‌ Just when you think you've done something unique, you find someone has already done it or done it better. Last winter I found on youtube a barefoot video of someone doing one foot backwards naked in about 40 degree water. There was also one of a guy doing a naked backward deepwater start at night... imagine that. You know what that takes? He probably doesn't have'm anymore. Of course these were both on a boom, so I wouldn't count'em as records.

• Baller

8 footers behind each of two boats running parallel in the dark (not naked). Captured with infrared video. 6 footers single Centurion outboard daytime.

Non skiing:

Bench pressed 225 lbs for a set of 26 reps. At a fund raiser for the Lake Association did 100 push-ups at a buck a push up pledged from the crowd.

Driving: yeah not going there.