In Tow - what are must haves?

pgmoore

• Baller

I was lucky enough to receive a gift certificate for a new In Tow rope and handle for Christmas this year. In looking a the website, the array of options available is astonishing. This truly is a custom product. I'm really excited, but what are the must haves?

Twisted vs parallel last long line section

12 inch vs 13 inch handle

Rope exposed endcaps vs wedge shaped endcaps

Spectra vs polypro

What's the deal with the ARS handle?

Anything else of note?

Certainly many of these items will be strictly personal preference. But I'm curious as to people's thoughts.

• Supporting Member

I'd say all of those are personal preference. But two things that (in my opinion) aren't:

- Headguard cross bar. Get it. It has no disadvatanges, and there is absolutely no reason to ever risk a head-through-handle.

- Tubing partway down the rope, sometimes called Goode-Guard. If you have a ski with a "sharp" top-edge, like just about all Goodes, then adding this tubing on will roughly quadruple the life of your handle.

• Baller

I really like the spectra over the polypro. Doesnt feel any softer or harder, but feels much lighter and less drag. I was surprised how much better if felt.

I like exposed end caps, the molded allways feel clunky to me.

Get the crossbar, can't tell its there but could be a lifesaver.

• Baller_

I use an In Tow 12" 1.03 bent handle with spectra and regular end caps.

I don't use the cross bar and I don't know that I am sold on it even though I use a plastic "arm guard" type product. The cross bar will certainly keep a head out of the "V" of the rope, but not an arm. I think arms are the more common injury, and the cross bar could be a guaranteed trapped and broken arm, maybe in two places. If my arm goes through my handle, I'm in the same boat, but I think my arm is less likely to go through with my set up as opposed to the cross bar because a significant portion of the "V" is blocked with the plastic, leaving a relatively small opening.

Thoughts?

Lpskier

• Baller_

@EFW That was John O'Neil. He could run -22 at 34 mph holding the handle in the crook of his good arm and holding on the the top of his life jacket arm hole with his hand. What an athlete and inspiration, and a great guy. At the time of his death, he was the president of the NY Water Ski Federation. He lost his arm just below the elbow and mangled his leg in a motorcycle accident as a young man.

My father in law says there are three sure things in life: death, taxes, and if you ride a motorcycle you will get hurt.

Lpskier

• Baller

Brenda's stuff is great and I really like doing business with her. She has always been a pleasure to deal with. I recently placed an order and having forgotten a handle at a tournament before, I asked if she could add name and phone number to the handle. She had thought about doing it before, but this must have pushed her to do it. She tried more than one solution, soaking them in water for days to make sure the name and number would not fade. I think it looks great. I asked if she would like a plug on BoS. She agreed since she is planning to offer this for 2015. skpb52cus1ae.jpg

1j0dvq8ybywr.jpg

• Supporting Member

@lpskier If you are comfortable using a larger insert that completely prevents head-through and greatly decreases the chances of arm-through, then GREAT! Don't change a thing.

But for anybody who has struggled with those, Brenda's cross-bar is a total no-brainer: It simply has no drawback while making it physically impossible to put your head through.

• Baller_

I don't like the name on the handle idea, and here's why: At Regionals this summer no fewer than 6 really nice, new handles were left behind. Only one person contacted me looking for a missing handle. Result: I am "up" five handles. If everyone has their name on their handle, then the burden shifts to the site to track down and contact the forgetful owner to get the handle back to him or her. The site gets another new job, bears the cost of mailing, and is no longer the beneficiary of the forgetful owner (that person some times being me). I say this, of course, slightly tongue in check.

@Than_Bogan I am really not sure about the crossbar. I love In Tow products, and I like innovation, but I wonder in this case if the bar doesn't prevent a rare problem (head through handle) by making a more likely problem (arm through handle) worse. It is odd, three or four people were all killed in a short window of time by sticking a head through a handle, but none since or before (that I know of). Why do you suppose that is? Sure some folks are using products to reduce the likelihood of such injuries, but the vast majority are not.

Final thought: Some people say a 13" handle facilitates getting your chest up between your arms, and your elbows to your sides, particularly if you are a big guy. On the other hand, the "V" in a 13" handle presents a bigger target for a head or arm.

Lpskier

• Elite Skier
I can only give my experience with the kit I've used all year from In Tow. I use a 12" long, 1.030" thick spectra handle which has been amazing. The rubber wears less than others I've used. I've also been using their slalom lines for practise. I don't notice any major difference between this and the traditional masterline one that I'll often get in tournaments but I like how it just has one loop to put over the pole. I had someone put the 'wrong end' of a line length on last year and the role came off the pole while I crashed very painfully.

• Baller

@lpskier As a trick skier taking lots of weird falls with a toe harness only partially blocking the bridle, I am very reassured with just a minor blockage of the vee. Lots of arms through handles don't go straight through, they go at a significant angle. A rope across will block lots of dangerous situations. Not all - so you can improve safety with a substantial guard. But there are plenty of other ways to get hurt...

Eric

• Baller
I have had three ropes from InTow - Brenda can make custom colours, custom start lengths so 14m or 16m. Extra loops if you want to try 12.5m. I had a detachable length made for my 14m line just in case a friend needs a 16m to start on. The bent handle is really nice & Brenda is always available for advise or to update you on Freddie Winters progress.

• Baller

Had a great phone call with Brenda today. She spent nearly 40 minutes with me making sure that I was getting exactly the right rope and handle. It was incredible. I don't even have the product in my hands and I'm already very impressed.

I ended up going with the following:

Slalom Mainline: 15'-39.5' with an extra loop between 22' and 28'

Team 12" (1.00) Spectra Handle with Cross Bar: strung up rope exposed around the grommet with the short grey sleeves in dark grey spectra (main color) and neon green spectra (second color).

Also ordered a pair of kevlar glove liners. Those will be a nice addition.

Really excited to get my hands on this stuff. Now we just need this snow to melt!

• Baller
I have been using Brenda for a long time...simply the best all around and a great customer service as well. There is no substitute for good ole fashion A1 customer service! She delivers and in my opinion is an asset to our sport! I just got a new handle and rope. 1.125 thirteen inch team with cross bar and tubing on the v and 24 inches past (Goode protection) straight handle not ARS or bent with Spectra. The Spectra is lighter and I like it. I used the ARS handles way back (1980's) loved them but they tended to roll and tear prematurely if I recall. I may retry them after seeing Bruce Butterfield's comments. I use to love them. As I remember they were easier on your hands. Brenda's product is accurate, well constructed, and the rope seems superior. I highly recommend them.