Set-up for a kid: Obrien Jr Seige 59"

fu_man

• Baller
My daughter has been progressing on the slalom ski. She can ski the mini course fairly easily at slow speeds and last summer she started taking shots through the gate trying to get a legit 1 ball. Santa thought it was time to upgrade her from the single combo ski to an O'brien Jr Seige 59". Although it is a small ski I anticipate that it will still be on the bigger side for her. She is small...4ft tall and about 50lbs. I'm not sure fatory settings even exist for this ski...I couldn't find any. I thought about starting her with the bindings and fin all the way forward. (Fin slides forward and back, no depth adjustment possible.) I think this will make it behave like a smaller ski, but I could be wrong. Does anyone have any experience with this ski or setting up skis for little kids? I know I could wait until spring and try different settings and see how they feel for her but it is the middle of winter so humor me. Thanks.

• Baller

For kids that small I don't think the setup really matters unless she is falling over. Just make sure she can get her feet close enough together that was the biggest challenge for me when my kids were small.

On the migration from the mini-course have her ignore the gates at first. have her pull out early for one ball and try to get to two ball. Once she can run the full course worry about the gates.

• Baller_

@fu-man, its important to consider the speed as well as skier weight when selecting ski size. Even at 50 lbs, unless she's at max speed (30mph) she will be sinking and struggling on that size ski. I had both my kids on 64" until they got to 30 and my son was on one of the really wide shaped skis until the lower 20mphs. Once they got close to 30, I put them on a 62".

I strongly recommend reconsidering and getting a larger ski. You'll be glad you did. Settings won't make much difference until she gets to max speed and starts shortening the rope.

With the larger ski, you can slow the boat down so she can run the full course. Try around 15mph. I'm not a fan of the mini-course and think they will learn better on the full course at slower speed. Have her pull out wide for 1 ball and not worry about the gate until she can run a full pass starting wide on 1.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

I agree don't worry about the fin. My daughter who is 9 is on a 62, she sounds to be at about the same level. She was running the mini around 25 mph and now is moving to working in the full course. The ski size was recommended to me by a pro skier who has kids around this age. He told me not to go over a 62.

I disagree about skipping the mini course. It gives them early success, teaches them to pull across the wakes and they don't get frustrated