Pound for pound which boat was the best value?

skiray

• Baller

99 SN is a no brainer, if it wasn't for the lack of ZO it would still be a viable tournament boat

Hmm... makes me wonder about the real reason behind introducing ZO on the market and in reality make it mandatory....

@skierjp‌ - I took the NADA suggested value for the year it sold as new and escalated it to 2015. It's not what they sell for today. Just trying to show what we were paying back in the day in 2015$.

I didn't know a better way to compare them. First glance, it looks like the technological advances costs have outpaced inflation. The real question I wonder is, is it worth it?

• Baller

On a different line, how about my 12' Chris Craft wooden kit boat with a 5hp Elgin. For a

couple hundred, at most, circa 1954. Or my first sort of real ski boat: Glasspar G3 with 40hp

in 1957. and then 75hp a few years later. About in the $1,000+ range. I expect that there are

several people here who had one back when. Great little mini-skiboat.

Although, before that, my first 'boat' was a surplus WW2 1-man liferaft with paddle power,

maybe age 10.

• Baller
I'm with @Edbrazil‌. I had an MFG and 3 Glastrons which all skied well and each cost me between 1,500 and 3,000 back in the 70's and 80's. In the 90's a 16' Checkmate outboard for 5k and finally in '05 a 92 MC 190 for $10,500. The next one who knows? For me the best value, out in the used market from the list above is a 93 MC, if you can find a well maintained one. I think that is also the best looking hull design.

My first slalom boat was a 90 Prostar/351 velvet drive. Hands down one of the softest/flattest wakes from any hull I've ever ski'd behind. Problem was if there was anyone but you and your ski buddy and more than 2 slalom skis you were out of room. And if it was windy that day and you were shorter than 35 the hull threw wicked spray in your face. That boat tracked like it was on rails and had more than enough OOMPH to get its light butt up to 36mph. I bought that boat for $10,500, owned it 10 years (500 hours) and sold it for $11,500

• Baller
If your looking at best value dollar for dollar graded by performance, I think you need to be looking at the early 90's models, a number of manufacturers created some pretty good hulls that will still compete with today's boats. The cost for ine of these is super cheap compared the 80k for a new MC

• Baller

In the used market:

Older boats...TSC1 followed by early 90's Prostar once had spray relief pockets that pushed the spray back a bit more. Live with both a while and I virtually guarantee you end up with a TSC1. Put ZO in that baby and it's SO close to a player against today's best. Bu LX holds it's own, too.

Newer boats slightly used Txi seems to be the best value in terms of being able to pick up a boat with reasonable number of hours at reasonable price that is a current hull. Caveat is that I have zippo Carbon Pro drive or ski time.

• Baller
A couple summers ago, we snagged a '98 196 with a mere 273 hours from some nice folks up in Sacramento. I cannot imagine a better value for a family who wants to improve their buoy count, but can only dream of affording one of the newer ZO tugs. Thoughtful design, outstanding build quality, excellent tracking. Looking forward to many years of service with a little TLC and preventative maintenance (and several cases of Corrosion Block -- we're in saltwater).