Fin Adjustments

msuws

I'm 18 years old and have been skiing for a while and joined my college waterski team in the fall. Anyway I'm only now noticing the importance of adjusting my fin as I practice. The research I've done on it hasn't been very helpful so far. Basically hoping someone can explain how each different adjustment will affect how the ski performs.

• Administrators

@msuws

Maybe not as genius as I thought it was 10 years ago but I think it is a good starting place.

http://www.ballofspray.com/home-v16/tech-articles-mainmenu/53-2004-lever-article

• Baller

I would simply add that you really need to start at default/stock settings. Ski several sets with those while a consistent (hopefully skilled) observer is in the boat watching you. Have that person determine if there is a consistent issue with how the ski responds and if that issue is due to skier issues or ski issues.

For most recent few years of skis, they all rock at stock.

Fin settings should never be used as a crutch for poor technique. If your stack, balance, handle control, etc. is bad, then work on that vs. deviating from stock settings to compensate. Otherwise you will only make it harder to unlearn poor technique later on.

@MattP Thanks for those!

@ToddL I agree with you on that. I definitely focus way more on my skiing technique than anything else. I just want to have the knowledge to fin tuning to have in my back pocket! I appreciate the help!