4 or 5 prong wiring harness

gt2003

2007 Tahoe Q6i, currently has a 5 prong wiring system on it. The problem is, late last year all the lights stayed lit all the time, no turn signals etc. So, I'm going to replace the wiring since it's almost 10 years old anyway. It's looks like a straight forward job that I can tackle pretty easily. My question is, since my truck doesn't have surge brakes on it and since my receptacle on my truck is for a 4 prong harness, is that what I should go with? The 5 prong hooks up fine just wondering if there is an advantage/disadvantage to one or the other?

• Baller

Just fix whatever is wrong with your truck wiring. Your truck is the Tahoe?

If you are rewiring just the trailer, rewire to 4 wire and keep the 5 wire plug for the adapter you make. Most light kits have both male and female plugs so you will have all the needed parts for the adapter. One problem with the kits is the lack of a ground wire. This is a problem for my rusted trailers and corrosive water. I use an extension cord for the wire (3 wires per side) so my lights are grounded. I only wire the taillights and ignore running lights. Actually, I try to avoid trailering - boat lifts rock!

Read The Grasshopper Trap by Patrick McManus for true insight into trailer lights.

Eric

No, the boat is an I/O runabout Tahoe. Ski boat possibly in my near future depending on how ski school goes in a couple of months! My truck is a 2011 Ford F150.

Is that a book or a thread from Patrick McManus?

Thanks Eric

• Baller_
If you are getting a tournament boat in the future, the trailer may have surge brakes. A 5 prong connector is used on those trailers to lock out the brakes, so you can back the trailer. You will eventually need 5 prong on your truck. Otherwise, the plunger on the trailer tongue will activate the brakes and prevent you from backing up. That extra prong takes a signal from the reverse lights on the truck.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

It's a book by Patrick McManus but the relevant trailer short story does come up online. Required reading.

Just teasing about the Tahoe. Probably a better trick boat than any of the new "ski" boats. Enjoy ski school.

Eric

@MISkier Stan's surge brake trailer (which I stole) needs a pin to disable the brakes to launch or back up. Strictly mechanical. I'm not sure about electric brakes for a boat trailer but with enough maintenence (WD 40 after each launch?) maybe useful. Especially if I'm going to tow with the converted Focus.

• Baller
The 5 pin is typically for the reverse light circuit that actuates the brake lockout solenoid on the trailer. As for which is better - 4 or 5, neither ;) Most tow vehicles come with 7 pin, as does every newer trailer that I've seen.

My tow vehicle has the 7 pin connector. The guy I bought the boat from included a 7-pin to 4 pin connector. It works fine, the 5th prong is just left exposed. Here's my plan, see what you think.

1. Replace with the same 5 prong system that is on there now.

2. Get a 7-prong to 5 prong connector. Do they make these?

By using the 5-wire harness and connecting it properly to a 5-prong receptacle, will that enable the brakes on the trailer to work? Or, would I need a seperate "surge brake" installed on my tow vehicle to take advantage of this? Thanks again

• Baller

You are confusing surge brakes and electric brakes.

Electric brakes require a controller in the truck - few boat trailers have electric brakes. You need a 6 or 7 pin trailer harness with electric brakes.

Surge brakes are actuated by the coupler on the tongue of the trailer. The only electric component is that SOME trailers have an electric solenoid that locks the brakes out when you are backing up. That solenoid is what is engaged by the 5th pin.

Ok, so if I get the 5-wire harness and the correct 7 prong to 5 prong reducer then the brakes will work it sounds like. That's worth it to me. I'll be ordering ASAP. I need to start working on this boat to help with the winter blues. Thanks @oldjeep

• Baller

I got myself one of these guys:

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK12706.html

I am not a fan of adapters; so I when I swapped disk brakes onto my trailer I just cut off the old 4 pin and went to a 7 pin. It is great. Another great benefit is that 7 pins lock into the receptacle on the truck so you don't really have to worry anymore about a loose light connection.

Ok, I went to the storage building today and checked. The connector on the boat is a 5-pin. My truck has a dual connection, either 5 pin or the round 7-pin/plug. Now I'm thoroughly confused. I'd like to take advantage of the brakes on the trailer if I can. Is my option to rewire with a 5 prong, cut off the 5 prong once wired and connect it to a 7 prong plug like @BrennanKMN used? Or is there a harness that comes with the 7 prong connector?

• Baller_
What I really meant was don't rewire it to a 4 prong. Just replace the existing wiring as original to fix what is likely a ground issue. I've also had lighting issues when there has been some rust on the hitch ball that prevented the trailer from grounding to the vehicle.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

@oldjeep , we are in the same boat. I don't even really know what I'm asking. I think once I get the harness and the diagram on where the blue wire actually connects then it will make much more sense to me. Obviously I haven't done much rewiring in the past and just trying to make som sense of it.

Yes @MISkier , that's exactly what I will get. Thanks

@oldjeep @MISkier , here is a picture of the current wiring.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/gt2003/wiring_zps22abjx4h.png

I crawled under the boat today and checked out how the wiring goes. It's pretty straight forward now that I've actually seen it. The lights are optronics LED's. I'm wondering where I can find a harness that has the ground wire incorporated in like what is on it right now. Any ideas? Thanks for bearing with me on this one. It's a project that was questionable for me at first but with your guidance (bearing with my ignorance of the whole subject) I'm quite confident I can get it done. Thanks again

Question also posted on iBoats. I don't get why the pigtail coming from the LED rear lights has a ground wire on it. But, could I get a wiring harness with the green/brown and yellow/brown wires, run them to each side then ground the white wire from the LED light itself to the trailer frame and be ok? The harness will also have the ground wire that will be grounded to the trailer tongue. Thanks

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how would I do that? Would I just splice in 2 more ground wires to the one on the harness and run them to each side? I can't find a harness with the ground wire bonded to each side like in the picutre above. That's what is throwing me off.