Should my wakeboard have a fin???

gt2003

The guy I bought my boat from included a used 143 cm wakeboard. The boots are just about shot so they'll have to be replaced soon. Also, I've seen some wakeboards with semi-large fins, similar to that on a ski. Should it have one? It has the small fins that are molded into the board but nothing else. It rarely gets used but is fun to play around on a few times each year and to have available if there is a guest wakeboarder in the boat. Just not sure if beginner boards should have fins. If It needs a fin and boots I can probably buy a new set up for the cost of replacement. Thanks

The fin is there for tracking and helps in edging . If your are looking for a feel like a trick ski leave it off. If you want it to track hard like a ski buy some. A set is usually around $30 I think.

• Baller

Never use fins! Parks Bonifay (intentionally?) broke his fin on the dock start in the competition where he first hit a double flip. Fins make landing much more critical and the falls harder. Learn to use the whole edge to track and your skills will be fundamentally better. The molded in fins are plenty.

Eric

Ok, no fin.

@eleeski and @E_T , it's an old board and it's drilled for 8 inch insert spread instead of the new 6 inch. My understanding is I can buy a newer set of bindings but will give up a couple of "settings" due to that. Is that correct? Seriously, I'm completely new to this so that shouldn't be a big deal I just want to make sure they'll fit on the board.

• Baller

Drill out the new plates if needed (but you probably won't need to). As long as you are duck footed, symmetrical and somewhere near shoulder width you should be OK. I've always been surprised how flexible and easy it is to mount wakeboard bindings and have them work. Lots of holes and inserts.

Eric

• Baller

My .02 - unless the board is something special, buy a new one with bindings already on it. Typically cheaper to get a package deal then just a pair of decent bindings - since closeouts never seem to be available in anything but small.

Have a look here for some decent package deals

http://www.evo.com/outlet-shop/wake/packages/mens/size-r_140-149-cm/s_price-asc.aspx

• Baller
It depends on what you are trying to do, theoretically if you are doing what you should with your COM you likely don't need them but for just screwing around behind the boat they'll help you keep the board under you and make it so you can have a good time without spending quite as much time in the water.