Boat Tracking & Setup

ozski

• Baller

For all of you boat tuners out there I wanted to know how you can best setup your boat for the course? I drove 3 different 200's last week and they were all different, I would say that one tracked noticeably better than the others but I could not tell you why. Compared to my 04 Response the 200 holds much better as it should. How does a driver go about setting up a boat to work its best in the course? Are there any tricks of the trade / mods that people do? On my own boat the only thing I have done is remove the back seat and I keep the fuel load pretty low, thought about taking the wedge off to reduce weight at the back of the boat as well.

Thoughts?

• Baller_
I have found the SV23 hull (Response) responds very well to reducing not only transom but also overall weight. Is yours an LX or LXi? If you are inclined, I would recommend removing the wedge bracket. Ensuring a good side to side balance also helps, adjust with some ballast even with the driver depending on what side its needed. I also suggest giving the boat a very good going over for any uneeded stuff on board and leave it on shore if possible (and safe). How creative do you want to get, there is a lot of opportunity?

For the 04 response, add about 80 pounds of weight in the nose of the boat use the rudder tab to add tension to the steering wheel I usually grind the drivers side of the rudder from the top of the rudder about 3 inches down and about 3 inches across the top if u drew a line across I grind the area do a little at a time so you dont over do it

• Baller
Thanks Chad, that's the sort of info I was after. Not sure about grinding the rudder unless I could see an example to copy, wonder how much a new rudder would cost me.. @DW see signature, mine is an LXi

• Baller
@ozski I used to use a sanding disk on a drill for the 90's Prostars. It didn't take much on them. If you go to far you can grind some off the other side and it will balance it back out. I would do the hole trailing edge on the PSs. From what I understand Chad is saying to just do the top 3 inches.

I can take a photo of mine and email to you if you want to see mine. All of the LXI 's can use a little weight in the nose they all ran bow high. David west 07 LXI came from Craig and was a promo so i know the rudder was worked by the factory before it went out.

• Baller
I have a 07 Lxi that was a So Cal promo boat. I used 35 pound barbell plates as follows. 1 plate in the walk-thru centered under the air dam to improved tracking which stays in all the time. Then under the observer seat next to the port gunnel I have 3 of the 35 pound plates to simulate a 105 pound passenger for side to side weight balance when no observer is in the boat. We remove these 3 plates when we have an observer. The plates are rubber coated and I looped a strap through each to make them easy to move.

• Baller
It's been a while since I had to grind down a rudder, but it didn't take much grinding at all to create tension at the steering wheel. I think it would be pretty hard to notice in a photo, but I could be wrong? Sure love the adjustable tab on the CC.

• Baller
I would love to grind the rudder on my response LX to create a little load but it scares the snot out of me. Plus I put my boat in the water in April and I don't take it out again until October so I can't pull it in and out easily to correct it.

• Baller

@Chef23. On the Response it takes a lot of grinding to get it right. Use 4in grinder hit it on back starboard side at about 30deg angle. Run it up the lake a bit. It should start to pull right at mid to high 20s mph. Then it should pull moderately to right at 34/36.

You just need to be able to launch, run it for a minute and then pop back on trailer if not enough.

• Baller

Where should I place a weight in a SN 196 for better tracking and weight distribution? I'm pretty sure there is no need.

Where should I set the rudder tab included in the package utilizing the two set screws? Set it at your preference...no grinding.

I appreciate the new hulls and the features that they as boats have to offer. The SN 196 any time after '97 is one helluva slalom tug. If one needs ZO hit the most recent model like @MS has for sale. If one needs a bigger open bow...do something different as there are great offerings out there from the big 3. The SN 196 hull holds it's own today and I argue that, for the most part, special weighting for tracking or wake are by and large not necessary with that hull for fantastic performance.

• Baller_
Like it or not sometimes our boats are just not assembled well from the factory. I have seen gross misalignment of shaft couplers, rudders with way to much end play and even slop in the rudder port bore. misalignment of tracking fins and of course pre-release and hull distortion due to extenuating layup problems. Sometimes we get boats that need more help then just a rudder grind.

• Baller
As suggested by Chad I added some weight to the front (sand bags under the seats) and did some rudder work. What I have now is a much better LXi for short line slalom work so thanks @Chad_Scott - great advice.

• Baller
That's curious, I have a disagree above from a member on my rudder tab observation. And yet sitting here from my desk I can clearly see my boat outside on the trailer with a rudder that has a rudder tab. Its a US sourced LXi ....

• Baller_
Yesterday and today I had the good fortune to drive Regina's 2014 boat. I assume Chad Scott set it up, but that is purely a guess. The rudder torque was pretty heavy, heavier than my 2007 Nautique with the fin tab maxed out, and heavier than I might have preferred. I drove several skiers and it was fine, but it might get tiring during a long shift at a tournament. That said, this boat was clearly the best driving Malibu I have ever driven and it completely changed my opinion of the boat. What a dream to drive! Very easy to get into the swing with the skier and consequentially very easy to hold center.

Lpskier

John you are correct regarding Regina's boat black with silver metallic, I had the boat for a couple of months. Its a really good boat. I personally like a lot of rudder torque, means i have to steer a lot less. As far as fatigue, just hold it straight no need to steer a lot. I used the boat for the Malibu Open pulled 24 skiers in a row with it. I like the wheel loaded especially when pulling lots of 39's and 41's. With the rudder worked you can take the load off with the rudder tab.

As far as the photo of the rudder, I grind the rudder about 3 inches across the top and 3 inches down. If you drew a line across that is the area I grind and round the outside edge, then I use the tab to adjust to my preference.