Lake dimensions and turns

andjules

• Baller

I'm looking at a private natural lake. It's frozen solid right now, so as soon as it thaws I'll have to look at depths, etc., but it looks pretty good for shape and orientation. It's about 1,950 feet at it's longest, and 350-550 feet for most of its length, but gets narrow towards one end. So three questions:

a) how much width (off the boat's path, on the pullout side) do I safely need at the 55s?

b) how much width do you need to turn (without dropping the skier)? Not a dealbreaker if we always have to drop at the narrow end, but I'm curious... never had to think about it before. It's about 160' wide at the narrow end. And yes, I realize a lot of it has to do with how quickly it gets deep off the shoreline.

c) what are the issues with a 1,950' lake? I realize from reading other threads that people get by with less, but it's still less-than-ideal, correct? What compromises do I need to contend with at that length?

Thanks

• Baller_

Here is my opinion:

a) At the 55s, I think you need about 80 feet from the center of the boat path to allow the skier to pull out. You could probably get away with a little less, but I am considering some sort of incident (binding failure, rope break) that might fling the skier forward and toward shore on a simple pullout.

b) I think you need about 225 feet to turn the skier without dropping and, as you noted, that 225 feet should not be water that is only 2 feet deep or barely driveable by the boat. Should get deep relatively close to shore. Like 3-4 feet deep within the first 20 feet of shore.

c) 1950 feet should be plenty long if you are not at high altitude. At least 1800 feet should be driveable with the boat during take off acceleration and some of the remaining length deep enough to idle around the skier.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Our lake is 180 feet wide. We can spin, you'd be amazed at how tight you can turn a boat. Even when the water drops and we are skiing at 160 feet we don't have a problem with skiing the course. It is a little nerve racking to think about lean lock and shooting past the buoy but I have never seen it happen.

• Baller

We are under 140 feet at one end according to Google Earth, and we only spin trickers and wakeboarders. I think I have spun combo skiers, but never tried a slalom skier. Seems too tight for me, and probably my insurance guy.

We are at 2,000 almost to the foot, and had no problems getting up to 36 in the old days with less horsepower. No need to whip around and head back in.

• Baller

Sounds ideal! Plenty wide for careful turns (as long as there are no killer islands). AWSA once had a 50' clearance requirement - that's a good guideline. 87 feet from shore for the pullout (50' clearance and line up with 2, 4, 6). 50' from the buoys and hug the windward side for the course.

Put a buoy deep in the hole and have the skiers go there. You should be OK getting started - I have the same and it's quite comfortable.

Enjoy the lake!

Eric