Shipping boat from Canada

The_MS

• Baller

You might end up paying import and taxes on the boat depending on how it was brought into Canada?

If the boat was manufactured and shipped direct to Canada new it may have been able to bypass certain charges and state taxes.

Before I moved to the USA I bought a previous boat in Oregon and when I brought it to Canada I had to pay both an import fee and the GST (Government Service Tax) upon arrival at the border.

I was well aware of this prior to arriving at the border as I had contacted the Canadian Border Patrol to inquire what I would need?

When we moved south we decided to sell the boat rather than risk having to pay taxes twice on the same boat as it was now registered in Canada.

I would think all fee and documentation questions could be answered by the US Border Control folks.

Good luck!

• Baller
I only had to pay a RIV tax fee on the boat trailer (this applies to anything with wheels being imported into Canada) I only paid GST (Canadian sales tax) on my boat when I imported it from Florida back in 2005. No other fees. I would be surprised if the U.S. border did anything different than that.

"Do Better..."

• Baller

You will prob have to have the BOS and original title at the border that it will be crossing at 72hrs in advance, then they will apply any applicable taxes at that point. As well as whatever form of licence/transport plates and or docs in order.

These are the steps that are required for import from US to canada, I'm sure if you look into hiring a broker I'm sure for a reasonable fee they will take care of everything for a nominal fee and the unit will prob be delivered to your driveway by the transport company.

I payed a broker $1500 to bring me a GMC dually diesel from Decatur Texas to central alberta. Cheap price to pay to avoid all the headaches

Agree with above. I'm a Canadian and I bought my last two cars in the states (as it used to be way cheaper). I used a broker on the last one. Total cost was $1,500 to ship a car from Florida to Canada. I didn't have to do any paperwork or jump through any hoops, I showed up and picked up the car. The broker was also able to minimize the amount of Import tax I had to pay (paid tax on actual sale price instead of Govt book value). That alone saved me over $1,000. He also exports - Olivier Lambert (450) 252-0352 The website is only in French but he speaks English. http://www.quebec-usa.com Message me if you want more details.

• Baller

No import fees or customs fees when you import a USA made boat or anything else made in USA to Canada.

Only federal and provincial (depending on which) taxes.

Free trade agreement.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
To bring a boat into Canada, you do NOT have to give 72 hrs notice (mine came from the US). That only applies to a motor vehicle. The boat is not a motor vehicle because it is not registerd on the road and the trailer is not self propelled that only applies for cars etc

Depending on what your tax structure is in the state that you live in, it may be beneficial to cross a border other than the state you live in. For instance, bringing a boat to Canada, if I cross the border in the province where I live, the Border guys will collect federal and provincial tax. If I cross in a province that I don't live in, they will only collect the Federal a they don't collect tax for other provinces. It may be the same there. Coming to Canada as Bulldog mentioned, the trailer is taxed separately from the boat as it is a road vehicle. You can't escape the provincial tax on the trailer.

Hey André, did you get my email?

• Baller
In the us you pay tax where you register it. In the case of MN that means 0 tax on the boat since it would be a non MN dealer transaction on a used boat plus about a $60 registration fee and 6.5% tax on the value of the trailer plus around $40 to register it. The thing I would look into is if you would need MN plates or temp tag if you were going to tow it back.

I have a cottage in Canada. I have brought jeeps, boats, lifts, tractors..... I'm a firm believer in what they don't know won't hurt them. Go pick it up and drive it back if possible. My go to line always is, I'm bringing it home for repairs.