Choosing a slalom ski

Daddyodaman

Hi, I need advice choosing a new ski. I'm predominately a wakeboarder, but I wanna get back into recreational slalom after years out of it. I'm 5'9" and 72kg's, and I'd ideally ride at about 28-31mph. I don't want to do the course but would like a ski that would help me progress and start throwing walls of water. I have been at a store and told the radar p6 or the HO tx would suit. The HO is more expensive and I can get a better deal on last years radar p6, but I'm worried as the p6 is a "wide body" ski that it may be a bit too beginner or suited to heavier blokes and not suitable for slightly aggressive skiing for a lightweight like me. The HO looks cool as, but I know thats not what's important! . I'm not a great skier, but I'm not a beginner either. I've also read the radar theory could suit but I'd like others experiences.

• Baller_
It's the best bang for the buck. Don't let the width or cheap price spook you. They are a course capable ski and very user friendly. The width is just that...width....its a fat Strada so to speak, witch is a proven shape.

• Baller
The Theory is a wider ski as well and the design was also taken from the Strada, it's just not quite as wide as the P6 and will have a little more performance. If my math is correct you weigh about 160 lb.? I bet you'll love a 67" Theory at the speeds you've mentioned. The P6 would be great too riding a little higher on the water with a touch less drag. Either ski will work fine with a nod to performance given to the Theory.

Cool, thanks for the input guys. I just needed some reassurance from those with experience. As long as the p6 is gonna be ok for me I might jump on it. I'm in Australia and water skis are a fair bit more expensive here, so if the p6 is gonna be fun and not hold back progress then I'll save a few hundred by not going for the theory or HO TX. Maybe I could spend the savings on some lessons instead!

• Baller
Hey @Daddyodaman I run a Theory and it has been an awesome ski. I have learnt to ski on it except half a dozen skis on a combo at the very beginning. My brother is a wake boarder and I have taught him to ski on it also. It will turn when you want it to but is also good for cruising or less confident skiers and I'm pretty sure guys have taken it to very short lines at 32mph. All in all the P6 might be a better price but the theory might be the one and only ski you need if you don't plan on venturing over 32mph.

I was the same as you (mostly wakeboarder turned skier) and I noticed a major difference in bindings between HO and Radar. For me, I demoed a HO CX (2014) and a Radar Senate (2014). I liked both skis, but HATED Radar's boots. Being use to wakeboard boots, I wanted something that had a similar feel. The HO Attack boots were exactly that. It is something to keep in mind for sure (not that you can't use different boots on different skis, of course).

Actually one of the things I like about the prime boots on the P6 is the pull cord is exactly the same as my Ronix wakeboard (sister company), so it made it a bit more familiar than the old rubber slalom bindings I'm used to. Sure, my wakeboard bindings feel more natural, but I put that down to not having experience with modern ski bindings. I can't wait to try the ski at Easter. 10 days and counting! Geez I hope I like it! I was close to upgrading to the theory before even trying the P6, but I've read so many good reviews of it I figure I can get up to speed on the P6 then update to a more aggressive ski down the track if slalom really grabs me enough. Second hand skis seem to hold their value from what I've seen. I'm very grateful for everyone's advice on here.

Ok now don't hate me, but I took the P6 back to the store before using it and upgraded to the HO TX. After reading a LOT of reviews and forum opinions on various sites I came to the conclusion that a Radar Theory would be more suitable as a ski I won't need to upgrade from in a couple of years as I progress, but still suitable for a novice. Since the wife gave permission to buy a more expensive ski originally, and I'd get in less trouble spending more now and not more later, I thought best to get a ski I'll keep forever now and be done with it. The only problem was the shop had no Theorys left, but had the HO TX, which he said was their equivalent of the Radar Theory. Apparently it is the new Triumph in the HO line. Either way it's made in USA which I like and seems top quality, and has a similar base shape so I'm hoping it's gonna be great. Truth be told I much prefer the HO bindings, especially the rear one. They seem like I can crank them up more and still come out in a crash, which makes me feel a bit better. It's only a few more days til I can try it but I'm feeling confident it's the right decision. I still appreciate everyone's opinions on the P6, I'm just the type of person that would rather keep something long term, and I know I'm never going to be good enough to outski the TX. (Although probably the same with the P6!) I hope you guys don't think I'm a tool for my decision! I'll let you know how I go on it regardless.

Update:

I've finally been on the ski twice now, and I love it! Got up first time both times, and it's happy to go straight but also feels like I can really get stuck into it as my skill progresses. After the first ski, I moved the bindings slightly forward and that seems to have helped me ride flatter and less on the back foot. I went out behind my friends V Ride, and at about 31-32 the wake is bearable, but I'm hoping to have a shot behind my other friends Response, as then I reckon I could really start to lean it over. I think this ski has made my upcoming boat purchase a bit more certain for getting a direct drive, as I think my wakeboard to ski ratio has now gone from 80/20 to 50/50!

• Baller

Well if you ask my wife she'd say "Just go buy the most expensive one out there because that's what it feels like you're doing every time you buy a new ski." :)

Not true as I certainly don't own any of the most expensive skis made. I just buy and sell them as I either improve or look for a better ride for myself!

As @bogboy stated...............welcome to the addiction. As you get better you might as well expect to get yourself a better ski............it WILL HAPPEN!!!! :)

for the level you are at the P6 would be perfect, but once you get addicted to slaloming through a course it my be a little hard to turn and bouncy threw the wake at the higher speeds(32,34). I remember when we got into skiing and we were just going to go around free skiing, but once we went threw the slalom coarse we got addicted and it became our fulltime sport.