Prostar vs Nautique

rodltg2

• Baller
I was at the boat show couple weekends back and the top three boats were there amazingly enough. What I found surprising though was that both the 200 and prostar had boat show pricing on them and there was a $10,000 difference between the two. Both looked equally equipped .MC was the cheaper of the two. Malibu did not have pricing . MC was at $68.

• Baller

The cost of a new boat is astronomical these days and to think the ski boats are on the low end of these competitors market. Reading some comments in the new slalom organization discussions people were talking about the expense of the sport and how there has been such a large increase of interest in wakeboarding. @GAJ0004 mentioned he walked into a dealer and the sellers first push was to try and sell of wakeboarding boat. All in all we look a the cost of our sport, and yes I agree it is an expensive hobby/lifestyle, but the wakeboarding business has to be way more expensive yet it consumes the market. The price of a new wakeboard or surf boat is almost 2x the cost of a ski boat. Not to mention fuel cost is going to increase.

It is hard for me to put this "cost" in perspective because I am just a few years out of school myself and still have a wife in grad school but the thought of owning a boat and finding a lake to use it on still seems so unreachable. I would venture there are a lot of people out there, myself included, that are having a hard enough time just finding a boat to ski behind, let alone finding someplace with course access. I think the interest is there but skiing doesn't offer the flexibility that wakebaording does. Now days anyone with 18' boat and within a short drive from a public lake can go wakeboarding. They don't have to go searching to find private lakes with a course and club dues. Public lakes are free advertising for the wakeboarding business. I think the biggest issue is the slalom skiing family has isolated themselves (and not necessarily by choice). If you haven't grown up around tournament sking your whole life it makes it hard to get started. My first exposure was when I went to college and I have done my best to stay involved but like I mentioned above it is hard enough sometimes just to find a local pull.

Just a little food for thought...

Both have nice wakes. However, you should drive both - with skiers behind you and see which one you are forced to counter-steer more. Having driven both boats, the Nautique tracks the very best. Not to take away from the MC, but the reason I started buying Nautiques is so my wife could drive / pull me, but not complain about how she couldn't hold me on a straight path.

• Baller
We moved from MC's to Nautiques when the women in our lives refused to drive them. The ride over rollers was too rough for their chest comfort. The new PS we drove was no exception. The wife and sister-in-law hated it. But, still love having a choice of 4 great DD options.

Of the four, I can't imagine picking anything but the easiest/best boat to drive. If you can pick the driver or the boat, but not both, I suggest you pick the driver. If you can't always be picky about the driver, the 200 is by far the way to go. All the new boats are good enough that the driver will be the biggest variable and the Nautique does the best job controlling that variable by a landside. Is there anyone out there, if forced to ski behind a mediocre driver, that would choose anything besides the 200???......

• Baller_

As a senior driver I drive all 4 current manufacturers products in all three events and mostly REL tournaments. I personally own a Nautique 200 and at this point if I was told to pick another product to own it would be a TXI.

Currently I am not as comfortable driving higher end slalom with either The CP or the new MC, I have not had the opportunity to drive one of either that has been better tuned by someone that knows what they are doing, So I still hold hope.

I can get into a 200 or TXI and feel right at home, I do get some of the best 200's and TXI's to drive but that is because of my close proximity to boats that I or Dennis and or Chad set up.

The two products that have no floor carpet in them tend to be noisy in the cockpit and seem to rattle a lot.

As for skiing throw me the handle let's go! I could care less what the boat is as long as I dont have a spongy rope! Though the new MC I feel has the best 22 off bump in the business and that is where most of the water ski contingent (women, elderly and juniors) have to contend with.

Trick skiers are flocking back to the 200 and the TXI is gaining in trick Boat popularity.

Jumping I feel all 4 can pull run of the mill up to 180' jumping then a 6 liter would be preferred for higher end jump. 200's seem to hold track better into the ramp and with the 6 liter are plenty powerful for 200 plus jumping. MC's set up for Freddy are different animals, I enjoy driving them but they are not run of the mil MC's.

It boils down to bang for the buck and product loyalty play's a large part. Do some homework and find out what are some of the common failure's in the products. Also how good is the service infrastructure and overall knowledge of the dealer you are purchasing from.

All in all I would lean toward the 200 Nautique they ski, drive and ride great out of the box and tend to hold their value and resale quality.

I do have a real nice Mapple edition for Sale!! Thousands less then a new one!!

• Baller_
@6balls speaks truth in tracking. It's almost ridiculous how well that thing tracks. If they ever manage to eliminate the stiffness to the wake, I believe that would be the best skiing and driving boat on the planet..

• Baller
I won't be in the market for a while , but if I was set on a 200........with all that I have read on this sight , the only one I would buy would be a promo with a known reputation. Good luck on the decision.

• Baller
The other cool Gekko feature is the complete lack of shortline spray, and the speed/wake as a barefoot boat. Very wide boat, too, and looks cool as hell in the water with the low profile. If that tiny wake was a little softer...

• Baller

Looks like the Gekko sells for $30K less than the MC, $40K less than the Nautique.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=31500

You'd think it would grab some market share. Sounds like my post gave some of you the impression I'm in the market for a new boat. It was just an observation.Thought it was weird to see such a huge price gap between the two. I can't justify spending that kind of $cheddar$ on a ski boat. At least not right now. I like not having payments on my 1999 Nautique. Does the job right now. I'd really like to have zero off, but I don't think it will improve my skiing, or scores much . Until my engine blows up( keeping fingers crossed at 1700 hours) I'm keeping it. Just need to work on my driver to keep her straight!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps73dcc0f8.jpg

• Baller

@6Balls - what is the Gekko wake like at 22-32 off? I'm fortunate enough to be able to get the opportunity to ski behind new/newer boats on my site but no Gekko's anywhere near by.

I will be in the market for a boat in the next year or so and I have seen the ad for the one posted on SIA. Looks like sweet ride and to hear from really good skiers how well it tracks is a bonus for the manufacturer!

I would think if they pushed and promoted it wouldn't take them long to be in the mix with the other 4?

• Baller
I saw one at a boat show in Vancouver in 2008 or so. Don't believe it's changed much. I really like the way it looked , but when I got in it felt really tight and cramped. Only downfall I could tell at the time .

• Baller
I'm not sure I've every seen a Gekko. How would the resale compare percentage wise. Back to the original question. I own a 2012 200. It's's awesome boat. I've skied a bunch behind the PS. I would love to own one at some point. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

• Baller

Gekkos seem to be bought by people who don't change boats like underwear, not sure that resale is a driving purchase concern. There are a few of them on my brother in laws lake, but that is also where the owner of gekko lives.

On the resale topic, that is always a crapshoot anyways, seem to still be a lot of last year promos for sale. Getting harder for the market to absorb hundreds of $$$$$$ boats.

• Baller
Never really cared for nautique other than being behind them had never driven or skied one other than tourneys. Test drove n bought a 196 used. Was amazed at ski ability drivability n build quality in particular is amazing. Hard not to drink the kool aid after ownership of cc. They don't se to cut any corners in the name of expense.

• Baller

ntxntx Posts: 509 Baller

March 27 Flag

My guess for the stars and strips is 77-79. The 80 had a three sided windshield.

Regarding 1980 master craft. MC had two models, in 80, a standard, and a deluxe, the deluxe had three piece windshield, the standard one piece windshield, standard had textured deck, deluxe had smooth deck.

• Baller

Guys, it's all about how much it depreciates while you own it...if you look at what you paid for the boat and what you sold it for 4 years later, the difference between the brands doesn't amount to squat. Buy and drive what you feel is the best boat- the one you like the best now.

If the difference between the 2 you were deciding upon was 2 grand, over 4 years, it's nothing.

For you guys holding on to those old boats, rethink it. The only price you pay is the price of depreciation. Your old boats are depreciating too...just a little slower. Rethinking will make you realize you don't need to wait that long.

• Baller

Or depreciating a lot slower. My 2000 196 bought in 2010 with 84 hrs for $17k...tell me how much I've lost if I were to sell today.

Agree totally on the splitting hairs over a few grand difference new so buy what you want and love using it.

• Baller

Does anyone buy a boat as a financial investment? I don't think so. We buy them for a personal experience, whether that is to spend time with family and friends or be able to continue to improve our skiing. None of those can be monetized. How do you put a price on building relationships with family and friends or the enjoyment we get from skiing. In my mind you buy a boat because you want to use it to bring happiness into your life. So get what you want and can afford.

It is always nice to know that you won't take a bath when you sell the boat. When you look at the big picture, if you buy a boat worrying about resale maybe this isn't the sport to be in. It's hard to make this sport work when you have tight financial constraints.

• Baller
Excellent point a great dealer makes a lot of difference, I know there are several promo drivers that may never interface with a dealer however that's not my situation...... Which is why I don't even consider a certain "big three" brand in my area based on other owners experiences..

• Baller
I'm not sure I entirely agree with that. We have a great MC dealership 10 minutes from our front door, but I'm just not a big enough fan of the product. However, they're still capable of repairing most things on our SN, should the need arise.

@Jordan all the cold weather has slowed boat sales. Now that the season approaches and the weather warms, I'm sure to make someone very happy with this beauty.

We used it last week at a collegiate tournament and everyone raved about it. Slalom, Trick & Jump this boat performed perfectly. Pulled 83 skiers over the two days.