Slalom in the classroom

Spuddy

• Baller

7icyq3vupxs2.jpg

I have been meaning to post this for a long while. Here is a picture of my classroom. I am an Elementary school teacher and I have put up old handles to use as signs for the names of the groups of students in my class. They took a long time to guess what they were used for! I eventually had to show them a video clip of what skiing looked like! I just have them hanging on clips off the ceiling, high enough up so no student can swing from one!!

Nice! Anything that piques a kids interest is a good thing. There's lots of good physics, geometry and math in skiing. Its something dynamic enough to hold their interest long enough to plant some basic concept seeds on the fundamentals of the physical world. Not to mention its super fun!

...Coolest field trip ever!

• Baller

@NoProblem I did discuss the pull of the boat, but the students I teach are grade 2-3 so that is about all the physics I can get into. I could do a math quiz on how much rope comes off each time ie. 15-22-28 stuff like that.

@Andre check out one of the Wilson Broa videos they have a whole set of old handles they use for working out!

• Baller

That is cool. I teach HS physics and my room is decorated with stuff but not as cool as handles...Gordon Rathbun calendar, Wonder Lake Show team calendar, and other shots.

Always gotta work this stuff in to the content.

Newton's laws? Gotta break out the Jeff Roders videos. "Why isn't Jeff sinking into the water?" Inevitably one wise ass always makes Biblical references. "Well Jeff is really awesome but..."

Projectiles? Time to watch some jumpers.

Kinematics? "OK so let's say I'm finishing my set and you are going to throw me a football from the boat while we are moving...where do you aim?"

When a kid asks a great question in class they win a prize: The latest issue of WS magazine. Then they have to pass it along to another kid when they are done with it.