Skiing hip to handle

cragginshred

• Baller

My offside turn (RFF) needs a lot of work. Rushing it and pulling the handle back in are two big issues. A veteran skier I get to ski with is telling me to ski my left hip back to the handle on the 1/3/5 to hook up in a better position. It going into the ball I think about it but as the moment arrives to turn I jam the ski banditry to force it.

How have you guys made your off side turn look like the onside?

Study the physical position of your on side turn (the reason it's better) and do more approaching the buoy into your off side to get into a similar position.

(more handle control and better off side counter rotation is a good place to start)

(weight to the inside of the ski/ass over the buoy)

look at your profile pic vs Joel Howley to the left of you above

• Administrators
@cragginshred there are a lot of things that could be going on. Are you stacked at the wakes going to off side? Do you feed the handle out late and slow? Are your hips over your front binding before you get to the ball?

• Baller

Try to look down course in order to give time to your free hand and hip to ski back to the handle.

Or touch your right hip with your free hang, ski back to the handle, hip and free hand at the same time.

Another approach is to open your hip and pull your free hand back and away from your body so to give time to the ski to go under the rope and the hip and hand move back to the handle at the same ratio.

Whatever helps.

Any of these 3 approaches help me!

Good lack!

Alex,

• Baller
Rushing the hand back to the handle, particularly in an over-the-top motion can just be your body trying to regain balance due to bad stuff happening well before the turn exactly as @Horton said. Takes one to know one in my case. It's a defensive save-yourself-now mechanism that may not be cured simply by trying to get back to the handle more slowly.