jump ski size better bigger or smaller

goodeski123

hey guys just wondering whats better having bigger jump skis or smaller ones. I weigh 45kg/100 pounds and im thinking of getting some 78inch goodmans, I think they might be a bit big for me as I think 76's would be perfect. Is there any other recommendations about my jump ski size.

my pb is 16.1metres but I think Im jumping around high 17's in practise.

I go at 42 km/h with 3/4 cuts

im 12 in the under 14 boys age division

I went over a jump for the first time about 1 1/2 years ago but we only have about 2 jump sets a year, luckily our ski club just got a jump about a month ago so we have been trying to go down once a week.

thx

• Baller_

Either 76 or 78 will be fine. If you were thinking about 84"s, I'd be worried :o Just spend as much time as you can riding and cutting on the skis as you can. For every set you go over the jump, take 2 sets riding the skis.

More important is getting good bindings that fit. Call Wiley's and they will be able to set you up with bindings that can be re-furbished/modified as you grow.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

If you are buying Goodman's my recommendation is to call Ron and talk to him. When I got my son his Goodman's I called Ron and talked to him and sent him video of my son jumping and let him make a recommendation. Ron won't steer you wrong.

I put off buying new jumpers for my son and he used old 72" Kidders and it was a mistake I should have bit the bullet earlier.

• Baller

@goodeski123 the Goodmans are expensive but 78" jumpers are in very high demand on the resale market. I don't know if prices have changed but I paid $1500 for 84" jumpers for my son and I am sure I could sell them $1200 or so right now. You will get good value for them later when you need to upgrade.

Regarding Ron's response times I had good luck with Ron when I bought my jumpers but it wasn't in the Spring I got them for my son for Christmas. I do find that Ron likes to help young jumpers so if you get him on the phone he may be more responsive.

Ron is a one man shop which is good and bad. I have heard horror stories about Ron's responsiveness but I didn't have that issue.

• Baller

I wouldn't buy a set of jumpers of any one but Ron Goodman. He might be a little slow depending on how backed up he is but its well worth the wait. If your any where near him it would be best to go do a couple sets with him and he will set you up with exactly what works best for you if not send him some vid. He can also set you up on them once you have them. His jumpers are very desirable and when you out grow them they will maintain there value.

Also he can do any repairs to them that I don't think any one else does

• Baller_

@toddl the overriding consideration is that the skier has to be able to control the skis both on the water and in the air. The bigger the skis, the harder they are to control. So when just learning to cut, being able to control the skis is critical.

On the flip side, the main benefit of the bigger skis is the extra speed into the ramp and more lift once in the air. So until he is in the 100' range and doing aggressive 3/4 cuts, it's better to be on the short side.

So I think the 70s are on the small side. I suggest 76-78", max of 80 if you find a good deal.

JMO. I know there are others who advocate bigger skis at all levels, but I've seen numerous crashes due to lack of control of big skis.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@ToddL skis in that size are hard to find. I started my son for the first few years on a pair of 72" Kidder Redlines. He was doing decent singles and going 50+ feet on the Redlines. I borrowed a pair of 78" Goodman's a friend of mine had and he picked up an easy 10 feet and the landings were much easier. At the time my son was shorter but heavier than your child and a strong solid kid.

I looked for quite a while for something in the 78-82" range used and nothing really showed up. Finally I reached out to Ron Goodman and sent him some video of my son and he recommended 84" jumpers which we bought. They were great and my son progressed to doing easy 3/4 going in the upper 70s. He got hurt slaloming last summer then lacrosse got in the way this summer so he really hasn't jumped much since before regionals last year.

If you can't find new I recommend reaching out to Ron Goodman I was very happy with his recommendation for my son. I think I paid $1500 for his jumpers 2 years ago. I am sure I could sell them very quickly for at least $1200 today so if you take care of them they hold value well.

I agree with @Bruce_Butterfield that the skis need to be controllable by the jumper. We found the 84" Goodmans to be as light and easier to control than the 72" Kidders. Your LS-300s are a much newer ski than the Kidders so the difference might not be as substantial.