Nautique Knox Sensor problem

cacman

• Baller
I have a 2007 Nautique PCM Magnum330 every time at 34.2 mph by 3 or 4 ball engine light comes on and screen reads knox sensor see dealer, goes out when you throttle down. Boat seems to be running ok. With zero off off I can run up and down lake at full throttle, light never comes on. Also pulled neighbor at 32 light never came on. Spoke with a guy from local marine he said that indicated sensor was bad, and it was intermittent. But every time at the exact same place in course is not intermittent. He thought but did not seem sure that once light goes on you have to reset code, but light is not always on. Any thoughts. Thanks

• Baller
Have you also checked to see if the knock sensor(s) are loose? Not sure what kind they use on a 2007 GM marine engine, but on my 2012 there are 2 that are on studs that gets removed to drain the block when you winterize - possible that they just didn't tighten the nut down enough.

• Baller
Knox sensor looks like the first picture. Our boat has a closed cooling system so we did not take them out when we winterized. I pulled both connectors off and cleaned with some contact cleaner. Any great way to test sensor. Also I would think if sensor faulty it would continually give error code.

• Baller
I had a 2007 PCM Excalibur 330 that did the same thing at 4 ball. It turned out that when I had the ECM reflashed at a local ZO parent company location for the installation of ZO, something didn't go right. One or more of the ECM readings were outside PCM parameters. I sent the ECM to PCM for reflashing. When I got it back, the problem was gone. I have a friend whose 09 check engine light came on sporadically, That turned out to be the wire between the knock sensor and whereever it goes (probably the ECM). Reportedly PCM had to manufacture the replacement wire because that style isn't currently used.

• Baller
just in case you have an extra fitting you havent mentioned -you can not have any fitting between the knock sensor and the block. we tried several ways to draw hot water from the block drain plug hole using t fittings and such but the sensor always ' failed '. the local nautique guys -pacific nautique over in auburn wa -told us that wouldnt work and they were right so we ended up pulling hot water from another point on the block.

cacman, I have a 2007 Nautique with the same symptom: check engine light...knox sensor...only with ZO on and around the 3 or 4 ball. It only happens once every 5 or ten sets. Did you ever find a solution? I think it's been about 3 or 4 years since my ZO was updated to the latest firmware.

• Baller
I had knock sensors codes twice this year. First time it was not tight enough with thread sealant..not good. Second time the rotor was loose and cam retard was off 4 degrees. Now it should be good hopefully. I have a ex343 2011.