Zero Off Puck Loose

ahopkinsTXi

So while drying off the boat after our Sunday morning sets, I noticed that the starboard side puck was loose! I picked it up expecting to see a hole and a missing screw. Well, I was wrong. It is just held on with an adhesive backing. Is this normal? There is a threaded insert on the bottom of the puck to screw into. I am guessing that both adhesive and a screw would be best.

Assuming adding a screw is the best solution, anyone have any suggestions on accurately drilling the hole?

• Baller_
Is it just double-sided adhesive tape or is it Velcro? If it's just tape, I'd replace it with Velcro. I don't think I'd drill a screw in. Mine are mounted with Velcro, but they are also underneath the windshield on the dash.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
The advantage of Velcro versus the double-sided adhesive is that each piece of the Velcro can follow the contour of the puck and the contour of the boat individually for a tight bond. Then, the fibrous nature of the Velcro is accommodating enough to give adhesion of the two parts without compromising the integrity of the adhesion to the puck or boat. The double-sided tape can't follow both contours simultanepusly. Thus, it results in a edge that pulls away from one surface or the other and eventual failure

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
Double sided body molding tape works just fine. Just clean the surface you are sticking to with alcohol, acetone or something that will remove any dirt and wax before applying the tape. FYI ZO has a new single "puck" coming out, though it isn't circular, so I suppose we'll have to come up with a new name for it, or live with a rectangularish "puck." The latter choice undoubtedly will not sit well with our Canadian friends.

Lpskier