Does the PCM 343 have automatc Timing adjustment?

kfennell

I am getting conflicting stories here! I have a 2012 PCM 343 that I had to change the distributor on. If I got it lined back up and the boat runs do I need to hook up the computer and get the timing adjusted or is it automatic? One mechanic told me it needs adjusted and the other said it is automatic.

If it is not automatic, how do I set it in base timing mode?

@Jody_Seal ? :dizzy:

What danE said, and "plenty good" procedure: run it a couple days. Pop the disty cap. If the spark looks like it's been going to the center of each post you are good. If it looks like its jumping ahead or behind each post twist the disty to center it up. The sensor in the disty just tells the compy which stroke number one piston is on: exhaust or compression. Actual spark timing comes off a sensor counting "teeth" on the crankshaft and reporting that to the compy. Thus, if your disty is close enough that it is not forcing the spark to jump too far from rotor to post you are good. If you are close but not good it'll run fine till the disty cap gets a little carbon on the posts, then start to miss a little.

Thanks for the answers, I gave it a go and it worked well. I followed the procedure to get the base timing right (well how to do it on a truck anyways) and the automatic the the rest, I will check the distributor in a few hours to check if it is sparking cloe enough to the middle, thanks!