Deep V handles for kids in tournaments

schroed

• Baller

My son just started running the slalom course on a single ski, but he needs a deep v handle to get up. I was trying to figure out if my son could use this deep v handle for a class C tournament in a couple weeks. The rule book has a dimension on the bridle of the handle at 11.5" +- 1.5". However, there's some confusing wording in the rule book. It states:

"For skier-supplied handles in the Slalom and Jumping events, the tolerance on the bridal length shall be +2.5 cm/-10 cm (+1"/-4) with no tolerance on the triangular portion of the bridle."

Does anyone know what this means exactly? It sounds like it means there's no tolerance on the length of the "V" or triangular length of the handle and hence a deep V would be acceptable. If that's the case, why even have a length dimension on the triangular length? I know I could probably just email Richelle, but I thought it would be more interesting to see what everyone has to say on this.

• Baller
I don't know what the rules are but if he is running the mini course (or big course) who gives a rats about what handle he is using. It is more important that he skis and has fun as he is the future of our sport. No doubt by he will be on a short v soon enough and then you can worry about tolerances

• Supporting Member
I assume there are tighter tolerances on the tournament handle than a skier's handle. It makes sense for a deep V to be legal, but that would be a goofy tournament-supplied handle. I suspect that's all those rules are saying?

• Baller
This is the stuff that requires common sense by tournament officials. If the kiddo is skiing at the upper echelon of his or her division, then rules about handle tolerances matter. If the kiddo is skiing at the bottom of his or her division ranking, then let it go and ensure that the young skier has plenty of fun and support, including the driver calling "driver error" if the kiddo fails on the first (and possibly second) deep water start.

• Baller
I agree with everything @ToddL said, but beware that most deep v handles are too long to be legal. Not the size of the v, but the overall length of the handle section. A picky judge could kick it out for that reason.