Looking for 97 SN!

curly71

Just sold my 2005 MC Prostar 209 (empty nest and my son was the boarder in the family). I have heard and read lots of good things about the 97-01 Ski Nautiques and it is between that and the 94 MC 190. I loved my 209 but think it may be time to try CC.

I live in Virginia (Smith Mountain lake) but am willing to drive for the right boat. I also don't need a trailer as I still have my MC trailer.

If anyone knows of a good solid low hour boat, please reply

Hey, Ski Nautiques from these years are absolutely amazing and will keep you happy for a long time. They really feel solid, they have a great wake (or lack thereof), they need very little maintenance and they are very quiet compared to other boats, a big plus for those early morning runs.

Keep looking, eventually something good will come up. Keep a close eye on sites like Onlyinboards, and don't forget to browse local ads. Also check out PlanetNautique and CorrectCraftFan.

I just found my '99 SN on a local ad and it only had 350 hours and was garage kept all it's life. It's like brand new.

Good Luck!

ca3jhp2dcane.jpg

dl7o1d1x6nlr.jpg

pfp58cea8cve.jpg

5372lnlg7pe9.jpg

f8mpsv2zg29q.jpg

• Baller
@curly71 - I've spent several years taking care of both a '94 Prostar 190 and a '98 SN. Both are outstanding slalom tugs and both have amazing slalom wakes. In my humble opinion, the SN is a better bet for a used boat. Both will deliver many more years of service if they've been maintained and not abused. In other words, a low-hours, babied Prostar will be a better deal than a neglected SN. But I think the devil is in the details, and the SN has the edge in design and build quality, with a few exceptions. @Santa is right that they feel real solid. Again, just my opinion after several years of working on the hulls, electrical systems, and doing light mechanical work on both. Your mileage may vary.

I did see a 94 MC 190 for sale in Tampa with 400 hours for $8300 on SIA and it looks pretty good with a couple of scuffs and 2 small stitch issues on the drivers seat. The fact it has no trailer is also a bonus since I don't need one. But after having a mastercraft, I'm ready for a change and really think the Nautique is the way to go

• Baller
OK, @curly71 heres what you can do. That is if you haven't already headed down there with money in hand......PM @chris_logan. He lives in AL and ask him to contact Rodger Logan who lives in Axis, AL. That's very close to Mobile. He probably knows the boat,,if not maybe he'll check it out of you. Buy the boat!

• Baller
@LeonL Rodger is the guy to check anything out. He's details to the millimeter. He also knows more skiers in our area than just about anyone. There are several private lakes in our area, so it COULD have lived on one, but I'd check it out. I'm actually mad I put it out here. I want one of my friends to pick it up so I can ski it. Hell, I'd buy it, but then I'd just have a pair.

• Baller
A suspiciously low price always warrants extensive questioning and a thorough inspection, because there is usually a reason for the low price. However, sometimes it is just because a seller is ignorant of market prices or is just wanting to move the item quickly. Hopefully for the buyer this is one of those times.

• Baller
I don't know the boat or the owner, but I do know the market. We're in an area where the inboard ski market is at an all-time low. It's a great place to pick up a mid 90's boat, but anything more recent is few and far between

I talked to the guy in Mobile and he hesitated way too long when I asked if the boat had been used in saltwater, then I got the answer that it had been used in "brackish" water but that he would then hook up the hose and flush.... I don't think I'm willing to drive 11 hours to look at a boat that probably has some corrosion issues...

• Baller
All the rivers here run into the bay, the bay into the gulf, and so on. If you don't know the guy, you have to take him at his word that he flushes it. My boat goes from private lake to fresh water river, but to say it gets zero brackish water would be a poor assumption. Most people that bother running decent inboards here take extremely good care, but, that's most. It's been on the market for almost a year and I've seen him drop the price a lot. I think it was around 14k the first time I saw it.

• Baller_

@curly71, something else to think about - if the boat is in good shape and potential issues with the engine, make a lowball offer and think about re-powering with a brand new 343 Excalibur. If you show up with $8,000 in cash, the seller will have a big pucker factor. Then you have a great hull and can put in a new engine for an unbeatable combination.

Just food for thought and to make the decisions harder:)

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding