"different" skis

19skier

• Baller
I ski two different places so have two sets of stuff. Recently bought a birthday ski that is magic so ordered another but kept the identicle binding sets. I can run -32/34 on good days. I only rode the second ski setup about a dozen turns freeskiing - it was out of control riding the tail and I couldn't do anything about it. It was un-serving. Identical setups different boat n water, rechecked settings. Skis were on sale as cosmetic blems, one is literally magic n one a crazy stick. Can high end skis be that different? Any insight welcome before I go asking for a different stick from the seller. Thx, Matt.

• Supporting Member

Out of my ass, I'd guess one of 'em is damaged in some way -- i.e. the blem is on more the outside?

But that assumes you've triple checked the fin details, the binding positions, rotations, etc., that the skis are actually the same length, and all that.

• Baller
Update on this to exonerate seller n mfgr; my bad - Exo boots adjust lots of directions. The bindings I used on one model of step bottom ski was about 1/2" back and canted very differently from the set used on a different step bottom model. I remember spending time trying to make the skis feel similar without a lot of success. Fins were almost 0.030 diff length too. With carefull attention to setup both skis are more fun than I have had in a long time, I wouldn't be able to guess which one I was on.